Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
General Real Estate Investing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Carson DuVall
Votes |
Looking for assistance/guidance.

Carson DuVall
Posted Oct 4 2022, 20:00

I am lost and could really use some guidance from someone with more experience. Totally willing to pay someone for their time. I currently have one Airbnb property that is cash flowing about 15k/year and has been doing that for 2 years. The property has about 300k in equity. I am wanting to build another property for STR on a lot that I own free and clear and was just told by my lender she can't make the loan happen. I don't have a W-2 job and am a self-employed contractor. I am hoping to get over this hurdle and learn in the process. Wondering what those with more experience would do in my situation.

User Stats

Votes
Jim Pellerin
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • USA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • USA
Replied Oct 4 2022, 20:45

I wouldn't build. Since you have experience with Airbnb, I would look for another property to do Airbnb on. I  Rent it from the owner and rent it out. You will have to get permission from the owner. You can many STRs using this method. 

User Stats

Votes
Carson DuVall
Votes |
Replied Oct 4 2022, 20:59

Thanks for your input Jim, I have considered STR arbitrage but I really want to be the owner of the property. I will definitely look into the arbitrage method some more for sure.

Demo
Practice finding and analyzing deals
Tulsa, OK
$231,902 - Median Home Value
5.97% - YoY Rent Growth
$1,351 - Median Rental Income
0.58% - Rent/Price Ratio
4.56% - Appreciation
0.77% - Population Growth Rate
Find Deals

User Stats

Votes
Ricardo Hidalgo
  • Real Estate Agent
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
Replied Oct 4 2022, 21:21
Quote from @Carson DuVall:

I am lost and could really use some guidance from someone with more experience. Totally willing to pay someone for their time. I currently have one Airbnb property that is cash flowing about 15k/year and has been doing that for 2 years. The property has about 300k in equity. I am wanting to build another property for STR on a lot that I own free and clear and was just told by my lender she can't make the loan happen. I don't have a W-2 job and am a self-employed contractor. I am hoping to get over this hurdle and learn in the process. Wondering what those with more experience would do in my situation.

Bank statement loan or hold assets in LLC to collateral.

User Stats

Votes
Ruchit Patel
  • Bay area, CA
Votes |
  • Bay area, CA
Replied Oct 4 2022, 21:28

There are many types of loans and not every lender provides every type. Most non-W2 people are forced to believe that they can't qualify to buy a house, till they find an experienced lender/agent.

I can connect with a guy I know who has been helping non-W2 people with loan for years now. 

User Stats

Votes
Dan Maciejewski
Agent
  • Realtor
  • PInellas County Largo, FL
Votes |
Agent
  • Realtor
  • PInellas County Largo, FL
Replied Oct 5 2022, 07:05

There are definitely lenders that can make things happen.  I think the best advice is to keep calling lenders.  

In my experience, especially in your case, brokers are better than most direct lenders. Most direct lenders will only do conforming loans, often with their own overlays that make criteria stricter. Either way, keep calling. FoA has some interesting products. I just closed a house that Host Finance brokered and they used a Finance of America product. Host was built to broker short term rental loans. Also, Visio keeps saying they offer DSCR for STR.