Rent current house or sell it and use equity to buy more?

Rent current house or sell it and use equity to buy more?

Member since 2022 · 48 posts · 10 votes

HI All,

I am a soon to be in the rental market and am new to being a landlord.  Currently me and my siblings are fixing up a house to go on the rental market (my Dad's old house).

I also have been living in a house for 20 years and have probably 160k equity in it.  It's a small (1150 sq foot) house. I have about 45k saved up.

I was thinking about moving out and renting my current place.  However, I thought of an alternative:  Sell the house, and from that, I could buy two or three of rental properties and have some money left over.   One downside to that is for the new properties, I'm guessing that I wouldn't make much profit right away, because the mortgage would be higher than the home I have been in 20 years.  Also, I still need to get more well versed in valuation of properties. So far I have done some reading and online seminars.  But, I'll work on learning more.

Any opinions or ideas?  Which scenario do you think would work better?

Thanks!


0Reply
11 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Sandwich, MA · Member since 2014 · 974 posts · 636 votes
    4y

    @Doug Davis

    You can do a cash out refinance to capture some of the equity in your current house and use the proceeds to purchase another rental property (or two).

  • Real Estate Consultant · Seattle, WA · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 784 votes
    4y

    Refinance to pull equity out or, depending on first mortgage terms if there is a first mortgage, get a HELOC and use the cash to acquire additional rental(s)

  • Member since 2022 · 48 posts · 10 votes
    4y

    Ok thanks.  I will look into loans.  Although, I thought a way that would avoid personal debt and more interest would be better.  

    What is better about the loan rather than cash?  Is the idea to hold on to the house I have for longer?  Note that I plan on moving out sometime soon anyway.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.