Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Real Estate Investing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Robert Frazier
  • Boise, ID
Votes |
Cash Flowing With Non-Traditional Room Rentals

Robert Frazier
  • Boise, ID
Posted

Did you know 28% of American households are individuals? That has grown from just 13% in 1960.

I've been working with a client who is selling their sfh's to scale up to multi-family redevelopment (we've been learning a ton)....and they have build their real estate portfolio with room rentals in larger houses.
Our city Boise has a plethora of larger 30-50 year old homes that need lots of love. This was due to a large mormon population in the 80's and 90's. These houses make great opportunities for room rentals. 

We are listing this one: https://www.homesnap.com/ID/Bo...  currently and it is a rare bird in Idaho, a cash-flowing rental available for purchase!

Per Room Rental Rate: $800-$900 per month in 2 room suites. 

House: 5 Suites and 1 more ready to add a bathroom.

Occupancy: 90% plus

Monthly Revenue: $4000+

Net After Expenses (Assuming $450k note): $1000

This sort of strategy can work with househacking young people, retirees or actively managing SFH investors. It is more work to manage with renters who share space but the opportunity for a great cash-flowing property is super rare in this economy.

Let me know if you're interested in looking for this kind of opportunity in Boise or elsewhere.