Advice on which would make the best investment (in Maryland)

Advice on which would make the best investment (in Maryland)

Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2013 · 79 posts · 25 votes

I recently purchased a SFH in Maryland about 30 mins outside DC. Shortly after moving in, I realized my crawl space/ unfinished basement had some issue with foundation and floor support. The area of interest is under my garage and currently not finished (dirt floor). But is big enough to finish. So my question and advice i seek is whether or not i just fix the issue and move on or do i fix the issue and finish the area making it livable and usable space (est. the additional space to be aprox. 2 bedrooms and maybe a media room due to windows)? The caveat to that, is with repair, I'm upwards of 70k which seems really high for the added square footage. Idk if I can get a good ROI. So that's the front story.

So based off of the GC estimates my two options are:

1 - 40k - 50k and the area is solid and will out last the house itself. Zero living space added. Just fixing the issue and making it safe.

2 - 80k and i finish the area and make it usable sq footage. It'll add approximately 700 to 750 sq foot to the house. It will make it somewhat an awkward layout, but none the less would add usable space. Taking me from a 4 /3 to a 6/3 and possibly a media/office. I don't want to add another bathroom or small kitchen due to location and being on a septic. I fear that would definitely push my ROI way down.

Is anyone in the DC or Maryland area that can tell me what they would do? Is the juice worth the squeeze?

This is my first time dealing with a basement and it’s put me a little outside of my element. My previous two homes were slabs and much easier to work with. So i have my first lesson learned already, buy what you know. Lol

Thanks, for any input, it’s greatly appreciated!

0Reply
21 views

Most Popular Reply

Realtor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2016 · 39 posts · 10 votes
7y

I think a lot depends on the area, have you run comps on the 6 BR option? I would consider the addition of the BR's as a $40K investment, as the $40/$50K foundation is required either way. Although having them under the garage might subtract value too. 

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Realtor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2016 · 39 posts · 10 votes
    7y

    I think a lot depends on the area, have you run comps on the 6 BR option? I would consider the addition of the BR's as a $40K investment, as the $40/$50K foundation is required either way. Although having them under the garage might subtract value too. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Northeast PA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    @Kyle Tipton  

    If I read your post correctly, I certainly don't want to have living space UNDER a GARAGE. 

    Most residential garages are built on a foundation and slab, not over a basement.  The stress dynamics of supporting a 2-ton+ vehicle call for special construction if not placed directly on a properly prepared cement or concrete slab.

    Advice:  address the foundation issues and move on.

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2013 · 79 posts · 25 votes
    7y

    @Marc Winter i know its a odd situation. Think of it as the opposite of a FROG. i basically have a basement area under my garage with 10 ft ceiling unfinished. The floor is 8'' thick precast concrete slabs so support isn't the concern. 

    but i think that the direction I'm m leaning towards. fix the foundation and be done with it. I

    thanks, for the input. 

    @William D.  that is the exact consideration i'm trying to go over. Comps do support the 40K value when approached from that viewpoint.  I'm just not sure if I'm comping apple t apples due to the unique nature of this situation. 

    I see you're from Baltimore, have you seen anything like this before on the common split levels in this area?

  • Realtor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2016 · 39 posts · 10 votes
    7y

    @Kyle Tipton I haven't seen that specifically. If you are unsure, make sure you get it repaired in such a way that you could easily build on it in the future. 

  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    It sounds a bit non-typical, but adding a full finished basement seems like a good idea if you can do it for $30-40K. Does that include hvac?

    I’d try to turn it into an in-law suite kind of thing with a bathroom and maybe a small wet-bar type kitchen. Can you get a separate entrance? Might require some zoning work.

    It sound to me like the extra square footage would be well worthwhile.

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2013 · 79 posts · 25 votes
    7y

    @William D. It would definitely be done in a way that it’d be easily finished later. Good idea.

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2013 · 79 posts · 25 votes
    7y

    @Mike McCarthy HVAC would need to be looked at still, especially if I made it a separate unit. And yes, I would have a stand alone entrance.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.