If my setbacks leave 1,200 sqft, can I build a 1,200 sqft home?

If my setbacks leave 1,200 sqft, can I build a 1,200 sqft home?

Wholesaler · Sunnyvale, CA · Member since 2016 · 106 posts · 58 votes

Hey everyone, I'm a land investor so I buy and sell parcels of vacant land.  I'm looking at a small lot that has frontage on two streets.  The lot is about 5500 sqft.  I'm getting it in a package deal with a few other lots so even if it were worth $0 the deal still works for me.

My question has to do with "could someone build on this." Because it has frontage on two streets I have some substantial setbacks that restrict all but 1,200 square feet of the property (roughly 80x15ft).  The neighbors have clearly begun to sprawl and if I could sell it to them for 1k or 2k I'd be more than happy, it's that kind of lot.  I'm sure one of the neighbors will have some interest at those prices, and I can finance them to facilitate it.

So I'm just curious, I suppose you could build a little shotgun house on it right?  Can you put the foundation right up to the 15 ft boundary if you wanted to?  Also, FYI, you can't roll a tiny home on it (says the county) but you could probably build a tiny home sized home.

Anyway, like I said, this is just a bonus and my curiosity has me wondering what the end buyer could do with it.  I suppose it's not buildable, but it's also probably not exactly desirable.

0Reply
35 views

Most Popular Reply

J ScottPro Member
Moderator
Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
7y

It will depend on the specific zoning rules in place for that area. 

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    7y

    It will depend on the specific zoning rules in place for that area. 

  • Developer · Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2016 · 49 posts · 38 votes
    7y

    @Matthew Bailey I have a house going up now that is 19’ wide and 75’ long and the floor plan is nice. Many townhouses are only 15’ wide and offer nice layouts. I love buying one off lots and building challenging homes. They always sell as long as you give them little extras and sell for the right price. Everyone loves a new house.

  • Developer · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2019 · 19 posts · 14 votes
    7y

    @Matthew Bailey Did someone from planning for the city/county tell you that you need to have such substantial setbacks on both streets? 

    Often, corner lots will still only have 1 front yard, and the secondary street setback would count as a sideyard.

  • Wholesaler · Sunnyvale, CA · Member since 2016 · 106 posts · 58 votes
    7y

    @Xander thanks for the reply, yea zoning said that it’s 20ft from any street. That being said I will go back and reread the zoning personally. I shouldn’t necessarily take the word of some of the folks at the county, at least when I can double check this one out personally. That’s a good catch, thanks!

  • Contractor · Fremont, CA · Member since 2018 · 50 posts · 17 votes
    7y
    @Matthew Bailey From my understanding and experience with past corner lots in different jurisdictions, the front setback to the garage is typically 20’ for driveway purposes. The house maybe 15’. For the side street I’ve seen 10’ setback and from the back fence is usually 15’.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.