Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Land & New Construction
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Aidan Birmingham
Votes |
Building an ADU

Aidan Birmingham
Posted Jul 21 2024, 12:04

I have found a duplex that has about 1250 sqft of an empty land next to it. The lot is zoned as RT4. My idea was to build a single family ADU since I researched that the you need 1200 sqft of land per unit and the lot is .1 acre (4356sqft) so the lot can only allow one more unit.
how much would it roughly cost to build a 2 or 3 bed adu?

User Stats

Votes
Ko Kashiwagi
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Jul 21 2024, 12:43

Not aware of how construction cost are looking in Milwaukee, but I'd talk to a couple of contractors/developers in the area. In LA, it can range from 90k-180k depending on who you ask for a ground up ADU. So I have the impression it can really change depending on who you ask.

User Stats

Votes
Robert Ellis
Agent
  • Developer
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Agent
  • Developer
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jul 22 2024, 03:44
Quote from @Ko Kashiwagi:

Not aware of how construction cost are looking in Milwaukee, but I'd talk to a couple of contractors/developers in the area. In LA, it can range from 90k-180k depending on who you ask for a ground up ADU. So I have the impression it can really change depending on who you ask.

it's not 90k. whoever says that doesn't know how to build. we just built a 668 sq ft house and it was more than that without the land and no garage below it. no way it's that low. 

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Corby Goade
Property Manager
Agent
  • Investor
  • Boise, ID
Votes |
Property Manager
Agent
  • Investor
  • Boise, ID
Replied Jul 22 2024, 05:02

You need to talk to someone local and defintely get some referrals. In my market, I could easily get quotes ranging from $150ish-$500 per foot, depending on the contractor, their team and specialty and how much of a sucker they thing I am. 

Also, cities and counties are wildly inneficient with this stuff and just because they say you can build an ADU doesn't mean they will actually let you. Before you get too deep, I'd set up a planning meeting with PandZ and get some feedback and direction.

Best of luck!

User Stats

Votes
Marcus Auerbach
Agent
  • Investor and Real Estate Agent
  • Milwaukee - Mequon, WI
Votes |
Agent
  • Milwaukee - Mequon, WI
Replied Jul 22 2024, 05:52

About $250 to $300 per square foot, because it is small which drives the per sqft cost up absorbing kitchen, bathroom, plumbing, electrical, utilities, basement, roof and impact fees into a small footprint. Bedrooms are cheap.

We will likely see zoning law changes in 2025 for the city of Milwaukee that will lift restrictions on ADU's (google GrowingMKE).

User Stats

Votes
Aidan Birmingham
Votes |
Replied Jul 22 2024, 06:15
Quote from @Marcus Auerbach:

About $250 to $300 per square foot, because it is small which drives the per sqft cost up absorbing kitchen, bathroom, plumbing, electrical, utilities, basement, roof and impact fees into a small footprint. Bedrooms are cheap.

We will likely see zoning law changes in 2025 for the city of Milwaukee that will lift restrictions on ADU's (google GrowingMKE).

Wow that is way more expensive than I thought. So for a 750 sqft ADU it could cost anywhere from $180,000 to $225,000. The plan was to build an ADU to add sqft, bedrooms, and rent to increase ARV and cash flow but the cost to do so is too high based on the projected return. 

User Stats

Votes
Whitney Hill
  • Contractor
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Jul 22 2024, 14:44

The reason for the wild swings in bids is: what is considered as part of the scope? The low bids likely don't account for the entire scope of work required to design, permit and build an ADU, including requisite utility upgrades and other site improvements. They may also not account for finishes, or budget appropriately for required permits.

Try googling "Comparing Quotes and Proposals from Different ADU Builders" for a full list of what to look for (I can't link here because it's my own article). You'll also find links to the full list of costs to consider. This will of course vary by jurisdiction, which is why it is crucial to work with a local builder who has actually constructed many ADUs and dealt with the pitfalls on previous projects. Otherwise, you will be their guinea pig and end up with change orders.

User Stats

Votes
Marcus Auerbach
Agent
  • Milwaukee - Mequon, WI
Votes |
Agent
  • Milwaukee - Mequon, WI
Replied Jul 23 2024, 07:24
Quote from @Aidan Birmingham:
Quote from @Marcus Auerbach:

Wow that is way more expensive than I thought. So for a 750 sqft ADU it could cost anywhere from $180,000 to $225,000. The plan was to build an ADU to add sqft, bedrooms, and rent to increase ARV and cash flow but the cost to do so is too high based on the projected return. 

Yup, pretty much. The cost per sqft goes down as you increase square footage. 1000 to 1200 is the sweet spot. Just look at your insurance policy, if you have insured the duplex for replacement value (and not for cost) it will show something like 400-500k.