Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Land & New Construction
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Kyle Bouldin
  • Contractor
  • Phoenix, AZ
Votes |
Multifamily New Builds

Kyle Bouldin
  • Contractor
  • Phoenix, AZ
Posted

I'm looking to get into REI from the developer/contractor side. I'm from Houston with a background and experience in construction for over 10 years. I have a general contracting company in Texas that I'd like to get licensed in AZ. As Texas doesn't require licenses for GCs, I'm not sure how this will work as I don't have a license that could potentially transfer over. I've been working in the Phoenix area for the last two years in the data center world. I'd like to get into small multi-family new builds as a developer where I would serve as my own licensed GC. I'm looking to build my team out here and would love to connect with lenders, agents, architects, and other contractors. I have a basic floor plan I'm looking to build and adapt to the right lot (see attached images). I know it needs a few things (bathroom size) revised to make it code compliant, and I will need an architect to help navigate zoning (another thing we don't do in Houston :D), site plans, elevation aesthetics

and local requirements. 

Currently, the ideal move for me would be to get an acre in Pinal County that I could put a house and is also zoned for MF. My wife breeds horses and needs room for 4 of them, so we need to be rural. The idea is to house hack in a rural area that I could develop down the road and transition from once the lot is fully built up. I've spent a lot of time on the pro forma as well, but a lot of the assumptions are based on the Houston market which I'm a lot more familiar with.

Does this seem like a viable plan? Is there anything I need to consider in pursuing this? Is there any feedback you would give? How hard is it to get financing as developer/GC?

Loading replies...