Viability of small apartment construction in North Hollywood

Viability of small apartment construction in North Hollywood

Investor · Thousand Oaks, CA · Member since 2016 · 53 posts · 8 votes

My partner and I have flipped 6 houses in the past 4 years, so we do have some decent real estate knowledge.  Because of the changes in the market, we have stepped back from flipping a the moment and are looking for other opportunities.

One option we are considering is ground-up construction of a 4-6 unit apartment building in the North Hollywood, CA area.  As an exercise, we've located a house available on a 7900 sq ft lot for $968,000. The listing stated, "It's zoned LARD1.5, non HPOZ. This property is also tier 1 TOC for an additional 35% increase in units to build 6 units." (What is tier 1 TOC?)  It is also just inside an Opportunity Zone.  The best comp is a new build 4-unit, that's two blocks away, that is pending at $3M.

Having never done this before, what would you recommend as the steps moving forward?  Should we try to find a GC who can do the whole project from plans to permits to demo to final finish?  Does being in an Opportunity Zone give us many benefits?  Is $250/sq ft a reasonable estimate for construction costs?  We realize that the whole project will likely take 2-3 years to complete.  The exit strategy could either be to sell it at the end, or keep it and rent out the units.

Any thoughts, suggestions or advise are greatly appreciated.

1Reply
16 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2021 · 4 posts · 1 vote
3y

I'm a newb but I saw a video on BP about opportunity zones given by a CPA.  Capitol gains tax deferral for opportunity zones? Its amazing !!! I'm also wondering how I can find out how much would be to develop a plot of land in Encino. Please advise if you find anyone you think may be able to advise me on it.  Congrats on your flips = )

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Architect · Los Angeles · Member since 2023 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    3y

    Hi Trevor, I am Los Angles Based Architect and TOC Tier 1 will get you 50% density increase not 35%. I've linked the TOC guidelines written by LA Planning. I am certainly interested in learning more about development side of the project and I can help you understand the architectural side of the project. let's connect. 

    https://planning.lacity.org/od...

  • Member since 2021 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    3y

    I'm a newb but I saw a video on BP about opportunity zones given by a CPA.  Capitol gains tax deferral for opportunity zones? Its amazing !!! I'm also wondering how I can find out how much would be to develop a plot of land in Encino. Please advise if you find anyone you think may be able to advise me on it.  Congrats on your flips = )

  • Investor · Los Angeles · Member since 2021 · 94 posts · 29 votes
    3y

    Hey Trevor, I'm partnered with ATP Development and we've done tons of ground up construction in Los Angeles with varying overlays and hurdles we had to jump through. I'd love to talk more about this project or any others you're considering since we are general contractors as well, and we can help with the design process to ensure viability.

  • Investor · Los Angeles · Member since 2021 · 94 posts · 29 votes
    3y

    Hey Trevor, I'm a fellow developer here in LA. Just to give you an idea of what we look for:

    - Multifamily Zoning (R2,R3,R4, RD...)

    - No Overlays (no HPOZ, no CPIO, etc...)

    - 6000 sf lot plus

    We tend to build by right and will use the TOC density bonus if it makes sense investment wise. I'd love to connect more and help where I can

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.