New investor needs help w Bigger Pockets Rental Analysis Calculat

New investor needs help w Bigger Pockets Rental Analysis Calculat

Madison, WI · Member since 2021 · 75 posts · 19 votes

I am new to investing, so I am when I find a potential property I use the Bigger pockets rental analysis calculator. Trying to find 2/3 unit multifamily that cash flows. When I put in my numbers for vacancy, maintenance and capital expenditures and then I use the 50% rule, my numbers are way off of the 50% rule. 

For example, I am near Madison Wisconsin, I am using Vacancy of 4.5%, maintenance 10% and cap ex at 8%. I know you can only estimate and that every property will be different, but If I am concerned that if my calculations are wrong, I may wind up with a property that costs me money and I can not afford that.  

My question, is it best to stick with using the 50% rule? If that is the case, will I ever find a on market property that cash flows?

2nd question, does anyone know of a group of investors that get together just to get practice on running numbers? I would love to be part of that group.

Thank you.

0Reply
18 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Wale LawalBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    Hi @Wendy Busa, Use Rentometer.com or BP Insight to have an idea of what the property will rent for.

    If you don’t have access to either then use 90% of whatever Zillow Rent Estimate is for example, if Zillow says it will rent for $2000, then 0.9x$2000 = $1800 will be the most likely rent.

    That been said, the best comparable is the one you get from an Agent because they have MLS access with a lot of data that will provide you the best result.

    Goodluck!

  • Rental Property Investor · Madison, WI · Member since 2019 · 19 posts · 9 votes
    4y

    @Wendy Busa I have similar experience with the 50% rule. I think the the current market makes it more difficult to hit ideal numbers. I've had to be more creative and have also adjusted my expectations. I know many people are holding their money and saving right now. That being said, I enjoy talking with others about real estate and would meet up and run some numbers with you.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.