Real Estate Lawyers / Syndication / Fund Raising

Real Estate Lawyers / Syndication / Fund Raising

Investor · Member since 2020 · 13 posts · 4 votes

Hi I have a rookie question but I can’t seem to find a previous post so I appreciate your guidance below.

To start something like a crowdfunding program for real estate, I heard we need a few legal documents to get started right. For example, Securities offering, SEC filing, LP / GP agreements, are the ones I can think of but I’m sure there are more.

I’m a small investor without much resources to hire the big law firms. Where can I find the answers to these questions? Any books or posts in the past would be appreciated!

Welcome recommendations to lawyers who are familiar with the real estate fund matter.

Thanks!

0Reply
17 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · RVA · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
5y

Start with Joe Fairless' Apartment syndication book and Hunter Thompson's Raising Capital book. Those should help get you up to speed - it's important to get straight on the differences between crowdfunding, syndications, funds, individual assets, and on and on.

There are a few attorneys who put out a lot of content you can learn from as well. @Mauricio Rauld has a number of awesome YouTube videos that will get you further faster.

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · RVA · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    5y

    Start with Joe Fairless' Apartment syndication book and Hunter Thompson's Raising Capital book. Those should help get you up to speed - it's important to get straight on the differences between crowdfunding, syndications, funds, individual assets, and on and on.

    There are a few attorneys who put out a lot of content you can learn from as well. @Mauricio Rauld has a number of awesome YouTube videos that will get you further faster.

  • Investor · Member since 2020 · 13 posts · 4 votes
    5y

    @Taylor L.

    Thank you so much for the tips. I see you are a syndicator yourself. How important is the legal stuff or I am overthinking? I worry about an unsatisfied investor suing me if I don’t have proper legal protection.

    Also, any recommendations about commercial lenders that would care for smaller deals would be extremely helpful!!

    Thanks again.

  • Rental Property Investor · RVA · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Austin J.:

    @Taylor L.

    Thank you so much for the tips. I see you are a syndicator yourself. How important is the legal stuff or I am overthinking? I worry about an unsatisfied investor suing me if I don’t have proper legal protection.

    Also, any recommendations about commercial lenders that would care for smaller deals would be extremely helpful!!

    Thanks again.

     The legal stuff is super important. Critical. Legally required! I think you're at a point where a few hours' content from guys like Mauricio will get you a lot further along pretty quickly.

  • Ian IppolitoBusiness Member
    Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Austin J.:

    Hi I have a rookie question but I can’t seem to find a previous post so I appreciate your guidance below.

    To start something like a crowdfunding program for real estate, I heard we need a few legal documents to get started right. For example, Securities offering, SEC filing, LP / GP agreements, are the ones I can think of but I’m sure there are more.

    I’m a small investor without much resources to hire the big law firms. Where can I find the answers to these questions? Any books or posts in the past would be appreciated!

    Welcome recommendations to lawyers who are familiar with the real estate fund matter.

    Thanks!

    Austin, @Amy Wan at BootStrap Legal is a well recognized leader in the real estate crowdfunding industry and the firm also happens to cater to smaller investors with smaller budgets. https://www.bootstraplegal.com...

    The Real Estate Crowdfunding Review
    View Page
  • Multifamily Syndicator · Houston, TX · Member since 2018 · 188 posts · 192 votes
    5y

    Go to YouTube and search "Kim Lisa Taylor." She's a syndication attorney that puts out a ton of free advice and content. You can google her and find her website too. 

  • Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2016 · 144 posts · 100 votes
    5y

    @Austin J. I know several great SEC attorneys who focus on crowdfunding/raising money online. I can PM you their contact info if you'd like.

  • Rhett KeltonPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Murfreesboro, TN · Member since 2018 · 85 posts · 45 votes
    5y

    I would recommend Mauricio Rauld's video's as well. 

    I have been in the process of setting my first syndication as well over the past 6 months.  I scheduled calls with 2 different syndication lawyers and the both provided me with lots of very similar information.  I ended up going with Crowdfunding Lawyers, and have been very happy with them.  They recommended plenty of things to do and not do.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.