What to Do With Duplex Zoned Commercial

What to Do With Duplex Zoned Commercial

Rental Property Investor · Summerville, SC · Member since 2017 · 169 posts · 36 votes

I'm currently interested in purchasing a duplex that returns moderate numbers as a residence.  However, it's zoned commercial and I'm wondering what I should do to take advantage of that (highest and best use)?  Would I get better returns if I placed a business in there?  How would I go about marketing that?  
Probably not the best time right now w/ COVID but I'll wait it out and see what happens.  Just want to be prepared with a good strategy when the time is right.

0Reply
39 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Bayside, NY · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
6y

My dad owned a mixed use property for many years, zoned  commercial years ago, grandfathered, and rented to commercial tenants. It's in a mostly residential district.

First, get hold of commercial brokers, as many commercial tenants sign up with these guys. The broker knows what type of property is suitable for each type of business. I was looking for laundromats  for a while, the guy I used was a business broker and a store broker.

Then my dad's mixed use property is located in a more residential district, not much foot traffic compared to commercial districts. Here, you rent to people requiring commercial space, such as real estate brokers, attorneys who is required by law to operate out of an office, or accounting firms where street traffic is not required.

In fact when 09/11 came, my dad had a store for rent. A flood of inquiries came in from Manhattan's commercial district, and he rented to a wholesale travel agent. This travel agent packages vacation packages for travel agents, and his customers are other travel agents, not people off the streets looking for vacations. The two old ladies that worked for the agent for years happen to live down the street from the store office, couldn't be more thrilled walking five minutes to work compared to suffering an hour in the crowded subways going to the office in midtown Manhattan, in fact on 5th Avenue and 42nd street, a most prestigious address. My dad's place was a fraction of what they were paying in rent.

The building next to his was also zoned commercial, but used many years as residential, then a CPA firm bought it, turned the entire building into a CPA headquarters. Again, foot traffic is not relevant. In fact, when he had space for rent, it's a fraction of rents demanded in nearby heavily trafficked commercial areas, so the demand is high.

My dad like renting to office tenants, as his insurance is a fraction of renting to corner grocers, or small coffee shops, where insurance rates are higher due to foot travel, such as slips and falls. 

I looked into mixed use properties, where the downstairs is commercial and upstairs residential, found normally in downtown areas of small towns. The worst case is having a restaurant downstairs, and an apartment upstairs. The resident tenants upstairs constantly moving due to smelly odors, and noise downstairs late into the night. So I looked into converting the whole building commercial and have offices upstairs.

And yes, you get more rent and commercial tenants also pays real estate taxes and utilities, they expect it, unlike residential where you get pushback when use ask for them. Here you should get an attorney conversant with commercial real estate practices and have them prepare your leases, which is a whole lot different than residential.

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Bayside, NY · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    My dad owned a mixed use property for many years, zoned  commercial years ago, grandfathered, and rented to commercial tenants. It's in a mostly residential district.

    First, get hold of commercial brokers, as many commercial tenants sign up with these guys. The broker knows what type of property is suitable for each type of business. I was looking for laundromats  for a while, the guy I used was a business broker and a store broker.

    Then my dad's mixed use property is located in a more residential district, not much foot traffic compared to commercial districts. Here, you rent to people requiring commercial space, such as real estate brokers, attorneys who is required by law to operate out of an office, or accounting firms where street traffic is not required.

    In fact when 09/11 came, my dad had a store for rent. A flood of inquiries came in from Manhattan's commercial district, and he rented to a wholesale travel agent. This travel agent packages vacation packages for travel agents, and his customers are other travel agents, not people off the streets looking for vacations. The two old ladies that worked for the agent for years happen to live down the street from the store office, couldn't be more thrilled walking five minutes to work compared to suffering an hour in the crowded subways going to the office in midtown Manhattan, in fact on 5th Avenue and 42nd street, a most prestigious address. My dad's place was a fraction of what they were paying in rent.

    The building next to his was also zoned commercial, but used many years as residential, then a CPA firm bought it, turned the entire building into a CPA headquarters. Again, foot traffic is not relevant. In fact, when he had space for rent, it's a fraction of rents demanded in nearby heavily trafficked commercial areas, so the demand is high.

    My dad like renting to office tenants, as his insurance is a fraction of renting to corner grocers, or small coffee shops, where insurance rates are higher due to foot travel, such as slips and falls. 

    I looked into mixed use properties, where the downstairs is commercial and upstairs residential, found normally in downtown areas of small towns. The worst case is having a restaurant downstairs, and an apartment upstairs. The resident tenants upstairs constantly moving due to smelly odors, and noise downstairs late into the night. So I looked into converting the whole building commercial and have offices upstairs.

    And yes, you get more rent and commercial tenants also pays real estate taxes and utilities, they expect it, unlike residential where you get pushback when use ask for them. Here you should get an attorney conversant with commercial real estate practices and have them prepare your leases, which is a whole lot different than residential.

  • Hadar OrkibiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · USA / NZ · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 812 votes
    6y

    @Andrew Merritt  I suggest you start with talking to few commercial brokers and see if they know of any potential tenant and what is likely to be the demand and rent in that location.

    also ask them if the commercial lease could be NNN lease. (tennat pay all outgoings)

    As far as Covid-19. essential workers would be great, but as with any Commercial property you always run the risk of lower vacancy time frame. 

  • Investor · Oceanside, CA · Member since 2017 · 61 posts · 22 votes
    6y

    Lease it out to a home based day care operator. The tenant can live in one side and run the day care in the other.

  • Rental Property Investor · Summerville, SC · Member since 2017 · 169 posts · 36 votes
    6y

    @Frank Chin and @Hadar Orkibi, great recommendations. Getting a couple of NNN commercial tenants in there would be fantastic. I'll reach out and see if I can find a good commercial broker.

    Do you know if I'd have to purchase the duplex through the broker, or would I be able to use my residential Realtor?  I'd prefer to stick w/ my Realtor if at all possible; he's helped me out a ton so far and I want to make sure he's rewarded.

    @Rick S. not a bad idea.  I'm a little concerned about wear and tear having a bunch of toddlers in there though.

  • Hadar OrkibiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · USA / NZ · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 812 votes
    6y

    @Andrew Merritt where is the Duplex listed now? if its with a broker you better use the listing broker. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Summerville, SC · Member since 2017 · 169 posts · 36 votes
    6y

    I spoke with my realtor about this last night and apparently he also does commercial brokering so I'm all set. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.