Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Multi-Family and Apartment Investing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Spencer Hoogveld
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Jefferson City, MO
Votes |
12-Plex Purchase Formula

Spencer Hoogveld
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Jefferson City, MO
Posted

Hello BP Community:

I have a question about a 12-plex apartment complex that I’m interested in -

The sellers are an older couple who are looking to get out of the rental business after 40 years. In total there are 12 units that are each 1 bed and 1 bath. Water, sewage, and electric are all separate. They have 6 of the units rented at only $300/each. These units are WAY under-rented! I ran a report on rentometer and the median rent for the area is around $500. The other 6 units are vacant, but could easily be rented with some cleaning and minor updates.

The sellers are asking $455,000. This number seems extremely high when the building only generates $1,800/year in current rental income. While the units are functional, they all need to be updated to be able to generate $450-$500 in rent per month. I’m estimating about $75,000 in updates to renovate all units and modernize the exterior.

My question is: What formula can I use to show the sellers what the building is worth based on their current income?

I don’t want to be disrespectful by offering a low number, but also want to be fair so the numbers work for me.

Loading replies...