Upping Cash Flow vs Rehab for Multifamily Appraisals

Upping Cash Flow vs Rehab for Multifamily Appraisals

St. Paul MN · Member since 2019 · 12 posts · 2 votes

Hello!

I'm trying to compare the potential for appraised after-repair-value among several multifamily properties, and I'm stuck. I know that making repairs and adding neighborhood-friendly features is of principle importance for raising the value of single-family residences, while increasing cash flow is the bottom line for raising value on properties with 5+ units. But how does that balance out in 2's 3's and 4's?

Consider two scenarios:

1. I buy a duplex for $200,000. It has two 3BR units renting for $1300 each. I do nothing to enhance the property, but I replace the tenants with section 8 tenants and thus pull in $1500 per unit, increasing the cash flow by $400 per month. Would the appraised value of the property increase even though the property wasn't improved?

2. I buy a quadplex for 350,000. It has four 1br units renting for $900 each. I improve the units significantly, but I can't raise the rent—let's say it came with section 8 rent, and the market in that area won't bear any higher. Would the property's appraised value increase significantly even though the rent didn't go up?

0Reply
14 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · North Richland Hills, TX · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    Plexes are valued the same way as SFH - based on comparable sales. So, merely increasing rent won't increase the value. However, unit upgrade may or may NOT increase the value depending on the quality of the comparable sales.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.