Thoughts on ethical concerns regarding syndicated deals

Thoughts on ethical concerns regarding syndicated deals

Rental Property Investor · Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2017 · 69 posts · 64 votes

This topic may be a bit more esoteric than most on this forum, but it does matter to me, and it stands to reason that it might matter to others. I posted a quick comment related to this in another thread and got a thought-proving response. I'm hoping that we can get some good viewpoints here in a dedicated thread.

Okay, so we all live in a capitalist society and thus we make money because somebody else willingly gave it to us. My goal for these transactions, though, is to hopefully be win-win in that the person or entity giving me the money benefits from our deal just as much as I'm benefiting.

The easiest example might be this: I still have a day job as a principal software developer where my employer pays me a LOT of money. They are happy doing so, though, because my work makes them even more money. Thus, it's a true win-win where both parties are making a lot of money by this transaction and so both are equally happy with the arrangement.

Let's apply this style of thinking towards the three most common syndication classes we see here on BP: multi-family apartments (MF), self storage (SS), and mobile home communities (MHC).

Starting with multi-family apartments. A typical deal will invest some amount of money to renovate the property and then raise the rents by varying amounts, culminating with a hopeful sale in the future to close it out. That sale is going to be to more investors, all of which are similarly wealthy and are buying it because they think they can make even more money off of it. True win-win. In fact, the final sale is going to be a win-win in all three classes, for the same reason.

Raising rents is in a mild grey area, to me. If the apartment is an A grade, then it's totally fine since anybody in an A apartment is already more well-to-do and is willing to pay more than necessary for the nice things. They aren't going to be hurt by higher prices. B grade apartments aren't far off. C grade apartments and below, though... that's where a closer look is necessary. People in the C grade apartments are there because they don't have high incomes and are far more vulnerable to price changes. If you push the rates into B territory, then it's very likely that the existing tenants will all be (practically) forced out in favor of more affluent tenants. Where do they go? I am far more likely to be okay with this if there are multiple existing comps in the area where the previous tenants can afford to move to. But if this is the last affordable complex in the area and the price increase to "market rates" causes them to move much farther away and uproot any connections (like daycare and the like) that they have in the area... well, I'm not a fan of that.

Moving on to self storage. These are the easiest sell for me, ethically. Almost nobody NEEDS self storage. People have self storage because they have too much stuff and that, by definition, means that they have disposable income. This is a class where almost everybody involved can trivially weather any price increases. There are those edge cases where they need storage very temporarily while moving, but even then, it's the cost of only a month or two and that's not going to bankrupt anybody. So yeah, this is an ethical clean slate as far as I'm concerned.  Unless I'm missing something?

Mobile home communities, though... man, that's one that I really struggle with. Until just a day or so ago, I would say that I was completely against investing in that class due to how destructive and one sided I considered the deals to be. I see now that it's not that black and white... but nonetheless, I'm going to mostly describe that line of thinking with this post and hopefully the alternative thought processes will come out in the discussion.

Okay, I live in an area with a staggering number of MHCs and from what I can see, there are two main classes of residents. The first are the "snow birds" -- retired people who come here in the winter to escape the cold. They are not all wealthy but the fact that they have what amounts to a second home means that they clearly have money to spare (relatively speaking). Notably raising the lot rent could potentially cause some of them to sell their winter homes and not come here anymore... but they still have their regular home to go back to, so no real ethical concerns there.

The other class of MHC residents are those that live there full time and are there because they can't afford a traditional single family home. Many of them cannot afford even an inexpensive apartment. Even though they are all "mobile" homes, for a lot of them, they are as rooted to their lot as a house with a foundation, either because the house is old enough that it cannot be moved without falling part or it's simply too expensive. The following article isn't (as of when it was published in 2015) about a syndication, but it does show just how desperate and just how vulnerable some of these residents are: https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/mesa/2015/06/15/mesa-royale-mobile-home-park-decision-human-cost/71235678/

So let's say I was part of a syndicate that bought Mesa Royale (from the article) and fixed it up to match code. We raise the lot prices since this is an investment... and now what? Even in best of cases, we are now making our money off of people are are essentially trapped there and have no choice but to pay. That's as far from win-win as I can think of. Worst case is that the raised lot prices are too much for a resident to afford. Homelessness is a very real concern in that case. If making money off of the most vulnerable is already super problematic to me, then being the cause of somebody becoming homeless is utterly unacceptable!

I'm going to leave it at that because I don't want to do all the talking, here. I want to hear what other people have to say about this topic.

2Reply
29 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Phoenix/Lima, Arizona/OH · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
7y

Interesting thought process. Some of the conclusions are wrong, though. For instance, there are generally two approaches to investing in apartments. One is to provide the market with a very high-priced item, but one that the market would consider the absolute best product available. I call this the Donald Trump approach. In this case, we recognize that vast majority of the of the audience cannot afford this product, and safety (staying power) resides in the fact that we are not trying to cater to them. We are catering to people who are not impacted by the economy, and who are used to spending whatever is necessary for the best product.

Another approach is to see safety (staying power) in terms of expanding our audience to the largest possible pool, and finding the balance between good enough yet affordable enough. In today's economy, in most municipalities in this country, this is $800 - $1,200. But, you can find that golden mean in any market. For instance, in a market that rents between $400 - $900, you likely want to be in $600 - $750. In a market that rents at $1800 - $3000, you likely want to be around $2300 - $2600.

In either case, you want people who are stable enough to manage, but not the absolute top of the market in a given market, because there are more of them...

Further, there is a price-point that is too low from an operational stand-point - regardless of anything I wrote above, we don't want that. We'll define this as a structural Class D.

In addition, it likely is a very good idea to be at a significant Delta to Class A. Why? Because they can build Class A, and you want to stay away from that basis. This, in fact, is where all of the building takes place, and this is likely the highest risk profile. Eventually, the rents go too high, or the supply does.

Put all of this together, and Class C that can sustain re-positioning to Class B is where you want to be. The upgraded units are almost nice enough to compete with Class A, but at a much lower basis. The rents are within that golden mean I described above. The asset attracts people who are stable but not rich, which makes them manageable. 

This is precisely what I, for one, do. We closed 2 weeks ago, and the manager sent out 8 non-renewals. There was 0 vacancy when we took over, and we need to get units to begin remodeling. 6 residents out of 8 requested to have their units remodeled - they want to stay. The remodeled units look like this:

The prices we are achieving on these are lower than Class A, but not terribly lower. Yet, our all-in basis is a lot lower.

See this reply in the discussion

15 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2017 · 69 posts · 64 votes
    7y

    To follow up with my own post... the Mesa Royale case used as an example is super instructive at showing just how ambiguous all this can be.

    The residents of Mesa Royale weren't threatened with homelessness in 2015 because of a syndication but rather because the existing owner didn't want to further invest in the property and thus would let it be condemned.

    In fact, one could argue that it was a syndication that saved it!  It was sold in August 2015, maybe even to people on this forum: https://mhpinvests.com/project/mesa-royal-mesa-az/.  Because they put in the necessary investments, the park was saved and those people whose homes were threatened where saved.

    That investment followed the typical path of raised rents and then a sale in less then three years for a 19.2% annual return.

    But.. the buyers (and current owners) are going to shut down the park and convert it to mixed family homes, so the threat is back.  Even more curiously, though, the buyers are Chicanos por la Causa, a very well known non-profit that works in exactly this space.  So maybe not a bad thing in the end?

    Regardless of the final result, the fact that the syndication was overall clearly a net positive for the park really puts my initial thoughts on the subject in a markedly different light and makes my original black-and-white view decidedly more grey!

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix/Lima, Arizona/OH · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    Interesting thought process. Some of the conclusions are wrong, though. For instance, there are generally two approaches to investing in apartments. One is to provide the market with a very high-priced item, but one that the market would consider the absolute best product available. I call this the Donald Trump approach. In this case, we recognize that vast majority of the of the audience cannot afford this product, and safety (staying power) resides in the fact that we are not trying to cater to them. We are catering to people who are not impacted by the economy, and who are used to spending whatever is necessary for the best product.

    Another approach is to see safety (staying power) in terms of expanding our audience to the largest possible pool, and finding the balance between good enough yet affordable enough. In today's economy, in most municipalities in this country, this is $800 - $1,200. But, you can find that golden mean in any market. For instance, in a market that rents between $400 - $900, you likely want to be in $600 - $750. In a market that rents at $1800 - $3000, you likely want to be around $2300 - $2600.

    In either case, you want people who are stable enough to manage, but not the absolute top of the market in a given market, because there are more of them...

    Further, there is a price-point that is too low from an operational stand-point - regardless of anything I wrote above, we don't want that. We'll define this as a structural Class D.

    In addition, it likely is a very good idea to be at a significant Delta to Class A. Why? Because they can build Class A, and you want to stay away from that basis. This, in fact, is where all of the building takes place, and this is likely the highest risk profile. Eventually, the rents go too high, or the supply does.

    Put all of this together, and Class C that can sustain re-positioning to Class B is where you want to be. The upgraded units are almost nice enough to compete with Class A, but at a much lower basis. The rents are within that golden mean I described above. The asset attracts people who are stable but not rich, which makes them manageable. 

    This is precisely what I, for one, do. We closed 2 weeks ago, and the manager sent out 8 non-renewals. There was 0 vacancy when we took over, and we need to get units to begin remodeling. 6 residents out of 8 requested to have their units remodeled - they want to stay. The remodeled units look like this:

    The prices we are achieving on these are lower than Class A, but not terribly lower. Yet, our all-in basis is a lot lower.

  • Bjorn AhlbladPro Member
    Investor · Shelton, WA · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    7y

    @Ben Leybovich Absolurely stellar job Ben! Did you do any improvements to the outside yet? Do you have pics to share if you did? Forced appreciation is the icing on the cake for sure. Value for the investor and the tenant!

  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    7y

    To begin this discussion it must be acknowledged that home township is not a right.  It is a privilege that must be worked for. Additionally it is understood that as long as someone is a renter they do not control their housing destiny beyond choosing where to live or move to. Regardless of whether they own their mobile home or not they are still only renting.

    Anyone in business does so in order to make money. If not they are either a non profit or a charity organisation. Every business, regardless of the operation, will always impact people. If your priority is not to maximise your returns for yourself of share holders a business will not survive. If making money on the other hand creates moral issue for a investor due to collateral damage they would do well to stay out of business. Collateral damage is unavoidable in a capitalist economy.

    Case in point: A individual has a job as a software developer and is paid a significant amount of money to improve their bottom line. To not do so the company would likely have gone out of business and all jobs would be lost. Employee and employer make a lot of money both are equally happy. The company survives and are able to make improved profits by reducing their required work forces by 1/3 through technological change made possible by software developments. Should that software developer have a moral issue.

    The original company has become very attractive to a buyout and the owner sells at a significant profit. The new owner moves production to his existing off shore plant. Should the original company owner and the software developer have a moral issue.

     In a capitalist economy money has to feelings, no emotions. If investors have a issue with that they may choose to invest in more socially conscience companies.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2017 · 69 posts · 64 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Ben Leybovich:

    Interesting thought process. Some of the conclusions are wrong, though. For instance, there are generally two approaches to investing in apartments. [snip]

    Thanks, Ben.  That was an interesting read... but I am not quite getting what specific conclusions I came to are being addressed by this?

    That is, one of the reasons I created this thread was on the hope that I would see either alternative thought processes or ways of coming to different conclusions with the same thought process.  Your post feels like it could be an alternative approach, but I'm just not seeing what it's an alternative to!

  • Rental Property Investor · Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2017 · 69 posts · 64 votes
    7y

    Thanks @Thomas S.!  You are describing the case that very likely the vast majority of investors and business owners believe.  I am absolutely in the minority in believing that capitalism doesn't always work that way and certainly doesn't have to.

    Regarding software developers having moral issues with the impact their software has -- yes, I do see it that way and I'm definitely not alone there.  See the developer protests at Google and Microsoft very recently as an example.  Both my wife and I have both changed jobs because we were uncomfortable with how our software was being used, so yes, we're putting our money where our mouth is.

    Should a company owner (or investor) extend their moral principals to even the sale of a company or entity?  Maybe.  I'm a bit on the fence about that.  But, well, my wife and I work very closely together on all investment deals and we need 100% agreement to go forward... if my wife sees the potential in any way of a future owner causing misery even after we are cashed out, then that deal will be a hard pass, as far as she's concerned.  So yeah, the responsibility of how an entity is passed on can absolutely be in a moral space, as well.

    Finally, your comment that "[i]f investors have a issue with that they may choose to invest in more socially conscience companies" is bang-on accurate.  When reasonable and without being a zealot about it, we absolutely do strongly prioritize investments and companies that have a social conscience.

    Thanks again for your thoughts on this!

  • Rental Property Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2017 · 9 posts · 14 votes
    7y

    Thanks for posing this question, Kurt. It was actually one of my biggest hurdles when deciding whether to get started investing in MF syndications. I live in a city with huge wealth disparities and a major housing shortage and see the impacts of gentrification every day. Multifamily investing actually came onto my radar via my personal volunteer involvement with a local affordable housing community. Even though my investments (2000+ doors, via multiple syndications) are in other states, in communities which may not be facing these issues to the same degree, I think the issues are real and important to consider. I read "Evicted" by Matthew Desmond last year when I was getting started with all of this, and it was eye-opening, heart-wrenching, and shaped much of my approach.

    So my "alternative thought process" on this sounds similar to yours. I've developed a completely non-scientific approach for my own decision making. I take a look at not just the numbers of what I as an investor will be getting, but what the tenants will be getting (or not). Will the improvements to the units really improve the quality of life? Are they getting nicer kitchens, new carports, a better pool, etc, or are they just going to get a rent raise because it hasn't been raised in a while? Will the % increase in the rent impact a family's budget to the point where they may lose their home? Are there other alternatives nearby or will they likely be pushed out of not only their home but also their neighborhood? (As I said, this is completely non-scientific process - I think back to what I felt like working multiple jobs to make ends meet and put myself in the tenants' shoes). In addition, if a selling point of the deal is that it will "improve tenant quality" or "turnover tenant base", it's not for me. I've turned down several B- and C+ deals for this reason. It's a line that I personally draw so I can sleep at night.

    On self-storage I agree with your thoughts... and MHC - you've given me food for thought. 

    Along the lines of your comment above about how you "prioritize investments and companies that have a social conscience", I agree with this! I'm trying hard to do this in all aspects of my financial life and investments. So when looking at syndication deals, I prioritize sponsors who "give back" in some way to the local communities, and focus my own charitable giving and volunteer work in this arena (affordable housing, homelessness prevention) as well.

    Like you said, esoteric perhaps, but I think it matters! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2015 · 501 posts · 504 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Kurt Granroth:

     if my wife sees the potential in any way of a future owner causing misery even after we are cashed out, then that deal will be a hard pass, as far as she's concerned.  So yeah, the responsibility of how an entity is passed on can absolutely be in a moral space, as well.

    Finally, your comment that "[i]f investors have a issue with that they may choose to invest in more socially conscience companies" is bang-on accurate.  When reasonable and without being a zealot about it, we absolutely do strongly prioritize investments and companies that have a social conscience.

    Thanks again for your thoughts on this!

     Sounds like a nice goal, but I am not sure how you can really be sure you're not causing misery. When I invest in a 200-unit apartment complex, I have noticed there are a few evictions just about every month. I have no idea whether these tenants "deserved" to be put on the street. In fact, I don't know the story of any of the 200 families living in the community of which I am a partial owner. What if you improved the lives of 150+ families by evicting 40 of their neighbors? Maybe in some cases there is a nice family with one troublemaker son...or maybe the children are lovely but the breadwinner is irresponsible with his money. Who knows...

    If it were not profitable to provide (relatively) affordable housing, maybe some of these people wouldn't have homes at all. I can assure you the supply would be lower. 

    I do think about the ethics of just about any business though. What about stores who sell $300 basketball shoes, or $1,000 tire rims? Should they close up because many of their customers might have better uses for that money? Or are they just fulfilling a market need?

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    7y

    Hi Kurt,

    I understand your feelings on this 100%.

    I know this man who went from rags to unbelievable riches, and has similar feelings about many things.

    Here is how he handles it. Rather than try to fight the way things work (everything has downsides and you can't protect people from every possible harm that may come there way), use "the system" to make a profit for yourself, and give back where you feel it will do the most good (and there is never enough, there never will be).

    For instance, in this case it might mean making as much as you possibly can (in an ethical manner) and steering a percentage of those profits into something that helps what you feel about.

    Now you might say that's sideways logic, but really, you can't stop the way things work (they work that way for a reason that generally involves the greater good in some way, such as preventing slums) and those who would benefit from the percentage donation (even if it's not tax deductible, such as a homeless shelter) would never get that money if you had not made a profit. The more you make the more you can give back.

    So when you really look at it this way, because you can make a profit and the can not (for many reasons) doing your best to make the most you can (ethically) accomplishes the greatest good for the greatest many.

    It's called being able to give back (not everyone can), and doing that is a good thing for everyone.

    Just my thoughts on this.

    Scott...

  • United States · Member since 2015 · 401 posts · 394 votes
    7y

    @Kurt Granroth & @Shannon C., you've talked about aspects of offerings that you don't like and that turn you away from them; how about some aspects that you do like, in terms of being in line with your ethical and moral values? What specifically do you look for or like to see that a Sponsor is doing to give back to the community and add value to tenants?

  • Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Kurt Granroth:


    The other class of MHC residents are those that live there full time and are there because they can't afford a traditional single family home. Many of them cannot afford even an inexpensive apartment. Even though they are all "mobile" homes, for a lot of them, they are as rooted to their lot as a house with a foundation, either because the house is old enough that it cannot be moved without falling part or it's simply too expensive. The following article isn't (as of when it was published in 2015) about a syndication, but it does show just how desperate and just how vulnerable some of these residents are: https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/mesa/20...

    So let's say I was part of a syndicate that bought Mesa Royale (from the article) and fixed it up to match code. We raise the lot prices since this is an investment... and now what? Even in best of cases, we are now making our money off of people are are essentially trapped there and have no choice but to pay. That's as far from win-win as I can think of. Worst case is that the raised lot prices are too much for a resident to afford. Homelessness is a very real concern in that case. If making money off of the most vulnerable is already super problematic to me, then being the cause of somebody becoming homeless is utterly unacceptable!

    I'm going to leave it at that because I don't want to do all the talking, here. I want to hear what other people have to say about this topic.

    Kurt, 

    Thanks for posing such an interesting question and putting yourself out there. 

    I'll pose some counter points regarding MHP investments since that's the area I know best. 

    1. You focus a lot on the impacts to the resident of lot rent increases, which is important, because after all, they are the customer. However, these rent raises are treated like simple profit grabs on the part of the owners with only regard for the bottom line. What isn't asked is what informs the decision to raise rents when? The vast majority of the time when a new owner takes over a park and raises rents, the current lot rents are below market value because the previous owner did not want/need to keep up with rent increases. Below market rent lot rents have an impact, albeit a subtle and long term one, on residents in the form of decreased CapEx and repairs. This means trees don't get trimmed, roads re-paved, sewer lines replaced when roots grow, landscaping done ect. All of these facts lead to a lower quality park with home owning tenants leaving and renters replacing them. This is one of the causes of MHPs being converted; the CapEx has been ignored for too long and will take to much time/capital to revitalize the park. When a new operator increases rent they are not simply raising it to a point that makes them the most profit, they raise it to around what the effective lot rent is for other parks in the area. The other parks in the area form the market and are what set the upper bound for lot rent, not the owner.

    2. From my research, your statement "Many of them cannot afford even an inexpensive apartment." is factually untrue, particularly with regards to those who own their mobile home. This working paper by Dr. Becker, a Duke economist, does a good job laying out the financial realities of MHP living. A substitute for owning a mobile home in a park is renting an apartment. No matter what way you slice it, owning an asset is better than renting, since all rent payments have a -100% ROI. Can you find people whom are adversely impacted by the increase in rent? Of course. But their existence should not cast a pall the entire business model. That is like saying, one person can't afford a used car, all used cars discriminate against the poor.

    3.In essence, the community owner acts like a municipality in that they provide and maintain the infrastructure of the park, roads, sewer, electric ect.  Lot rent funds the upkeep of those services. Towns raise taxes all the time to fix roads, expand sewer plants... and no one bats an eye. Sure, you can vote to raise taxes or not, but in the end if they aren't raised the town suffers the same fate as the park with below market lot rent. Quality community owners who raise rent to market have aligned interests with those residents who own their homes. By ensuring the park remains viable and of a good quality the value of the resident's home is protected. That allows them to one day sell their MH and purchase a single family residence. MHPs are one of the few viable, profitable, and scale-able private sector solutions to our nation's affordable housing problem. 

    I'll concede, there are MHP owners who take advantage of their customers by putting profit maximization above customer service and that is a shame. However judging all park owners by these few is an unfair and short-sighted comparison. There are cities and towns who also do not have the best interest of their residents in mind, you need look no further than Flint MI to see this in action; yet I don't see wide spread condemnation of all city government in national newspapers and magazines.

  • Member since 2018 · 19 posts · 14 votes
    7y

    Supply and demand should take care of most of the concerns you have via competition.

  • Rental Property Investor · Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2017 · 69 posts · 64 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Scott Mac:

    I know this man who went from rags to unbelievable riches, and has similar feelings about many things.

    Here is how he handles it. Rather than try to fight the way things work (everything has downsides and you can't protect people from every possible harm that may come there way), use "the system" to make a profit for yourself, and give back where you feel it will do the most good (and there is never enough, there never will be).

    Scott, thank you for the very thoughtful post!  The concept of "giving back" as, at the very least, a balm against the potential ethical wounds inflicted while making the money is one I've struggled with over the years, well outside the confines of just real estate.

    There is a long history of the wealthy donating substantial sums (in absolute terms, if not percentage) to help the less fortunate.  The current adherents of "philanthrocapitalism" have brought this to almost an art form.

    I'm far from a philosopher and so my own thinking on the topic is scattered and inconsistent.  I tend to lean heavily towards the idea that I'm more okay with charitable giving if it's "paying back" versus the potentially rationalizing affect of "evening the score"

    That is, the money I've earned is relatively innocuous (with reasonable constraints), coming from those that benefited from our relationship as much as I did.  So when I donate to causes that matter to me, it's doing so at least in part to "pay back" the ethical debt incurred by getting to where I am with the help of so many others.  I was once dirt poor and depended on help from others -- now that I am capable of doing the helping, I am glad to do so.  This feels right to me.

    But there's another way of looking at the wealthy's charitable giving and that's those that earned their money largely on the backs of others that can scarce afford it.  Now they view their giving as a way of "evening the score", by helping those that they stepped on on the way up.  In my mind, that's just rationalization and could be a case of lacking the self awareness necessary to really see ones place in the grand scheme of things.

    It's precisely that latter case that prompted the thought processes that led to this thread.  If I end up thinking that my investments in various syndications overall more "caused misery" than "sparked joy", then I would feel like I was just rationalizing away my actions if I then just increased my charitable giving to compensate.

    Heh... like I said, though, I'm definitely no philosopher!

  • Rental Property Investor · Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2017 · 69 posts · 64 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Michael Bishop:

    @Kurt Granroth & @Shannon C., you've talked about aspects of offerings that you don't like and that turn you away from them; how about some aspects that you do like, in terms of being in line with your ethical and moral values? What specifically do you look for or like to see that a Sponsor is doing to give back to the community and add value to tenants?

    The reality of this entire style of investing is that opportunities to invest in syndications that fully match my ideals are essentially unicorns.  Instead, it's more practical to find the investments that don't appear to be doing direct harm.

    BUT... it is funny that you ask this because something incredibly close to my ideal did just pop up recently and I find myself having to really hold the line on evaluating the opportunity on a financial basis when the concept behind them is so attractive!

    This opportunity is a "social impact fund" developed by a group that "[...] is a vertically integrated, minority and women-owned workforce and affordable housing investment firm" with an overall goal to to "build community and enrich lives through serving as a vehicle for social impact, environmental sustainability, and financial alpha — generating attractive risk-adjusted returns for all stakeholders" and for their investment objectives to include "[...] create, renovate, and preserve workforce and affordable housing in high growth markets throughout the US that have demonstrated the ability to outperform jobs, real wage growth, population growth, renter household formation; and exhibit a supply/demand imbalance"

    Well, there you go.  I don't yet know all the details on just how they accomplish that, but the words on paper are almost exactly what I'm looking for.

  • Lititz, PA · Member since 2013 · 595 posts · 272 votes
    7y

    ........

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.