Newbie Taking Over A Property

Newbie Taking Over A Property

New to Real Estate · Member since 2019 · 12 posts · 3 votes

Newbie here. This is a long one. Hello BP community. It's amazing how the universe aligns when you make the decision to focus your energy. I was finally bitten by the REI bug last year after reading an article on building wealth which lead to a book, to another book, conversations with owners, webinars, seminars, mentors and eventually BP. I spent the year soaking up as much as I could. And now, when I finally fell ready to go, before I could even make my first phone call on a potential property this situation shows up. I've searched through the forums and haven't seen this yet, so forgive me if it's already posted.

Multifamily. Owner-occupied. 2 units. Owner has approached me asking for help. Older gentleman, like family. House no longer has a mortgage on it, (value probably 215K), but he has not been administering his multi as a business and so his numbers are not good at all. Rent for second unit is ridiculously low. Like 1992 low. So he still pays for fixes and touch ups out of his own pocket, not from saved up rental income (since there isn't much). From what I can see the next door rental income pretty much pays for utilities on his side. He would like to get out of the property/landlording headache and has offered to let me take over completely however I choose (including transfer title/ownership, Subject To, etc). He has 100% trust in what I would choose to do to help. He is hoping the tenants don't have to be kicked out as the family has been with him for for many years. As a believer in karma, I want to make sure I do right by him. Part of my concern and the reason I would take over the property legally (not just as a property manager) has to do with his kids. I don't want to get into a power struggle if all of a sudden Child A decides she wants to show up to make decisions because she heard the house is being renovated, etc. I would also hate to put effort into research, taking out a small loan, etc. only to get blindsided. This would also become my first property which I have been hoping would be a multi so I admit it is exciting and can be profitable if I do this right.  

Here's what I'm thinking but only after legal documentation has been signed for whichever way gives me decision-making power and/or the property).

What I'm thinking- Property gets signed over and I go for a small bank loan. 30k or so. I offer him a reasonable amount of cash (which he can pocket and move in with one of his kids) and I use the rest to renovate side A (his side) to then make it a rental property at market rate. I also speak with Side B and inform them that rental fee will be going up, not to market, but a reasonable percentage  (to honor his request). I know they won't disagree. It's long overdue. I use new rental income to set aside funds as it should have been done and very slowly make sure to keep up with Side B's repair needs as well. SIde B gradually gets to market rate (always informing tenants appropriately). I would also set aside a percentage of monthly income to be sent to my new partner so he smiles when he thinks of his decision to get me involved  Granted, if the property is vacant for X amount of months that may not always be the case, but ideal. 

My questions: 

1) What would be the best way for me to take over the property? And should I? If I do it as a partnership or as property manager I feel it leaves me open to outside influencers changing his mind or creating problems for every decision.

2) Any foreseeable challenges that I need to take into account or that should make me walk away from this? The property is in decent condition. Needs some TLC. I plan to upgrade the usuals (cabinets, countertops, paint, etc,). 

Thank you all in advance for your comments. 

1Reply
28 views

Most Popular Reply

Raleigh, NC · Member since 2017 · 347 posts · 94 votes
7y

@Victor Ramos

Treat it as a fair deal. Don't try to screw him over but at the same time, don't shoot youself in the foot by bending over backwards and making some crazy deal.

See this reply in the discussion

21 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Tom GimerBusiness Member
    DMV · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    What happens to the ~$215k due to the family "friend"?

    Gimer Law516 Reviews
  • Retirement Accounts Attorney · Southfield, MI · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Victor Ramos

    Welcome to BP!

  • Rental Property Investor · Central, FL · Member since 2016 · 950 posts · 821 votes
    7y

    Take this as constructive criticism...

    You are making this way way way too complex. 

    Make a OFFER based on condition of the property and then have him SELL it to you. 

    You are asking for trouble making these karma promises.  This is 2019 not 1992, so rents would need to come up to market rent for the condition of the property. Do you know what that currently is for the area???

    You say he’s not treating it like a business, but either are you.  Solve his problem and buy the property like a businessman. If you want to run it like a business then start at the beginning and treat it like a business.  

    If your ARV is 215,000 the 70% number is 150,000 and then subtract repairs off of that. If a required stipulation is keeping the other family in the property at 1992 rates then it should be a 1992 price, so what 80,000???

    I wish you the best of luck, but to succeed you need to wrap your mind around this as a business.  

  • New to Real Estate · Member since 2019 · 12 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    @Tom Gimer what happens to it if I walk away and do nothing? I’m not hiding anything from him if that’s the question. He knows he has or may have equity. I haven’t done due diligence to see if taxes are paid up, repairs needed, etc. Like I said, he’s tired and just wants out of the headache. Once I know the numbers I can present it all to him for a decision. Thanks for the comment.

  • New to Real Estate · Member since 2019 · 12 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    @George Blower thank you George. I appreciate the welcome.

  • New to Real Estate · Member since 2019 · 12 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    @Eric C. Thank you for the response. I have every intention to treat it as a business. Simply trying to wrap my head around the best way to do so. Every avenue looks complicated to me being new at it.

  • Investor · Stratford, CT · Member since 2015 · 258 posts · 230 votes
    7y

    @Victor Ramos - I basically agree with Eric C. The simplest way to "take over" the property is to purchase it. Sounds like the owner would be willing to do owner financing. That way he gets a monthly payment of the same amount with some certainty and you get a property. You would have to negotiate a sales price low enough so that you could get a HELOC to fund renovations.

  • New to Real Estate · Member since 2019 · 12 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    @Ed Matson thank you. Owner financing seems to be the path to take. From our conversation, if I don’t step in he is at the point of walking away from it. So I do like the idea of sending him a monthly payment. Thank you.

  • Tom GimerBusiness Member
    DMV · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Victor Ramos:

    @Tom Gimer what happens to it if I walk away and do nothing? I’m not hiding anything from him if that’s the question. He knows he has or may have equity. I haven’t done due diligence to see if taxes are paid up, repairs needed, etc. Like I said, he’s tired and just wants out of the headache. Once I know the numbers I can present it all to him for a decision. Thanks for the comment.

    In your question you stated that the property is worth $215k... but your plans did not mention how any purchase money would be paid. I was pointing that important fact out. If the property is free and clear this is a perfect owner financing situation.

    Gimer Law516 Reviews
  • New to Real Estate · Member since 2019 · 12 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    Gotcha. Owner-financing sounds like it’s the best option. Guess my curiousity was if there would be a few different paths to consider. Thanks again.

  • New to Real Estate · Member since 2019 · 12 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    Hmm. Is there a scenario B where instead of purchasing for myself I help him get through the paperwork maze, have him borrow a small amount against his equity for renovations/repairs? Prep the property for rental, move him out to stay with one of his kids or use a realtor to find him a smaller more manageable single room condo and then I can sign on to manage the property for him? This way he doesn’t lose out on the equity (if there’s any), I help him solve his problem, and I also take on managing a property as opposed to owning it. Just wondering about other options.

  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    7y

    @Victor Ramos. Am I correct in assuming you don’t have the money to just buy this from him at 215k, 150k or really any price?

    You’re making this way to complicated. Do you really want to be a property manager to make like 50 bucks a month? Being a manager for 1 unit is a bad idea. Go talk to a bank. Get approved for a loan. Make an offer. If he accepts it, you buy it. If you do seller financing that’s fine. Put a down payment, have him finance the rest.

  • New to Real Estate · Member since 2019 · 12 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    Yes Caleb, newbie investor. Just getting ready and this landed on my lap. If it seems I’m over complicating it it’s because I haven’t done it and had questions. I’m sure when I get to a comfortable level it will seem like an easy decision to me too. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    7y

    @Victor Ramos. That’s fine I recommend you read more on this stuff before you do anything then

  • Rental Property Investor · Douglas County, MO · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    You seem to be a bit confused on the guy's financial situation. You say that there is no mortgage, and it's worth about  $215k, but then you say he "might" have some equity? If there is no mortgage it's all equity.

  • New to Real Estate · Member since 2019 · 12 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    @Sylvia B. Thank you. I understand where my confusion was and how to best move forward. I appreciate the comment. Looking forward to jumping in.

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    7y

    You mention you are moving him out of the property into a relatives home. I would be careful, because the relative may not like the agreement you make with this man. Technically it is not their business, but if they are giving him a place to live, it would be good to make sure they are on board. They can cause trouble if the agreement is viewed as predatory.

  • New to Real Estate · Member since 2019 · 12 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    Thanks Joe. 100% a precaution I’m taking. That idea came from him as we were talking. He has family/kids in warmer areas of the country and has been reluctant to move because of his ties to the house and I already know his family nextdoor offered him to stay with them as well. I think the predatory piece will come into place regardless of what I do since I’m not family. If I were John Doe knocking on his door offering to do an owner-financed purchase it probably wouldn’t seem as bad. Guess we’ll find out. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Dyersburg, TN · Member since 2019 · 45 posts · 31 votes
    7y

    @Victor Ramos It’s great your trying to help someone out. In my experience I always ended up losing or donating to the cause. Several years ago I decided when I help a family member or close friend etc I don’t consider, plan for or expect any profit or monetary gain that way I’m not disappointed and there are no hard feelings if they don’t pay the rent or loan etc. I look at it as a good deed and helping others which I believe we are supposed to do if we have been blessed to be more fortunate. I see a lot personal connection in this deals and there are a million ways it could go sideways and someone end up with hard feelings. There are a million ways it could be great for everyone too. Sadly the later is rarely the outcome, in my experience anyway. I personally wouldn’t buy it but would offer to point them in the right direction to help them achieve their desired results.

  • New to Real Estate · Member since 2019 · 12 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    @Derek Guivehchi thank you for the comment and advice. I was reluctant as well until I realized it’s an incredible opportunity to get into my first property and there’s a better than good chance it might all work out.

    Update: just met with his family next door. They’re on board and expressed relief that there’s a plan of action. They were even receptive to renos and repairs in both units and understood rental rate increases as a result. Meeting with a lawyer tomorrow to review paperwork and move towards getting the ball rolling with bank.

    Thank you all for contributing. I greatly appreciate the input.

  • Raleigh, NC · Member since 2017 · 347 posts · 94 votes
    7y

    @Victor Ramos

    Treat it as a fair deal. Don't try to screw him over but at the same time, don't shoot youself in the foot by bending over backwards and making some crazy deal.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.