Developer · Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
8y
@Ben Mizes The problem with low rents is that the expenses become a higher percentage of the total income. Paint and toilets don't magically become cheaper just because you charge less rent. Whereas the expense to income ratio might be 50-55% in most class C properties of that age, you might be looking at 60-65% since your income is so low.
Developer · Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
8y
Average rent of $450. Yeesh.
The building is old but what condition is it in? Is it mainly brick or a lot of wood siding? What's the condition of the roof, boiler, chiller, etc? Your lender will likely dictate how much they want you to set aside for replacement reserves? I would think $300/350 per unit each year, so $38-48k a year.
Rental Property Investor · Saint Louis, MO · Member since 2016 · 48 posts · 20 votes
8y
@Michael Le it's a brick building. I'm not entirely sure on the age of the roof, HVAC, plumbing, etc, yet. We're doing a tour this week.
I feel comfortable budgeting for things like plumbing and HVAC, but everything else that varies with scale I need to learn more about. I'm concerned that your estimate seems low. Regardless of the rent, I still need to account for a low end kitchen, bathrooms, carpet / flooring, paint, as well as some amount for shared items like tuckpointing and the roof.
Professional · Austin, TX · Member since 2017 · 33 posts · 22 votes
8y
My company owns a deal in Temple, Texas, which is a 1973 build and 116 units. Our R&M and turnover are $600/unit (total, not each), and our replacement reserves are at $300/unit. Those are both annualized numbers.
Real Estate Broker · Coppell, TX · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
8y
I would think if it has been maintained somewhere in the 7-10% range. Maybe more if it hasn't. It's old for Texas, the rents are low, which will probably mean more abuse/maintenance.
Developer · Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
8y
@Ben Mizes The problem with low rents is that the expenses become a higher percentage of the total income. Paint and toilets don't magically become cheaper just because you charge less rent. Whereas the expense to income ratio might be 50-55% in most class C properties of that age, you might be looking at 60-65% since your income is so low.