Lawyer review when investing as limited partner?

Lawyer review when investing as limited partner?

Redmond, WA · Member since 2014 · 22 posts · 2 votes

Hello, I'm considering investing in a syndicate as a limited partner. The syndicate isnt too big, ~20-30 people for ~$6 million property.

I've received and reviewed all of the documents - the PPM, company agreement, etc, and it seems OK.

One question I had though, is how common is it for people to have a lawyer review the documents more in depth? Is there much value in it? My impression is, for a syndicate, the managers are basically in control and you have to trust them to do the right thing - and outside of a lawyer just telling me what the docs say, I dont know if there is much protection or help they could provide.

Thoughts?

1Reply
14 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Developer · Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    It depends on how much experience you have and how well you understand the language of the PPM. Are you clear on the compensation structure? Are you clear on your rights if the sponsor does not perform? You won't be able to change anything on the PPM. The sponsors will just go to someone else if you're not happy with how it is structured. But at the very least you should be happy with how it is structured.

  • Investor · Ottawa, Ontario · Member since 2017 · 145 posts · 52 votes
    9y

    If I'm looking at a 200K-300K investment as a limited partner, I'm getting a lawyer to read it for sure. It'll cost a few hundred bucks to review the document.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.