Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Multi-Family and Apartment Investing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Masroor Ahmed
  • Investor
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
First LOI

Masroor Ahmed
  • Investor
  • Chicago, IL
Posted Aug 14 2014, 09:16

Hey BP folks - I'm a new investor and need some help getting over the challenge of getting deal number one.

While there's a ton written about due diligence check lists / process, I'd like some advice on pre-LOI diligence and getting comfortable enough to make an offer. How much leg work do you do before putting in an offer? Here are a few things I've hit on, but feeling nervous about putting in an LOI:

- research on surround area, demographics, businesses, general outlook

- walk through of building, saw 2 units of 8 with listing agent. Then drove by a couple times myself

- in the walk through, i evaluated as much as I could about the condition of the bldg, windows, age of appliances, common areas, water damage, etc.

- I'm a finance person, so I've evaluated the heck out of the math and varied scenarios

What am I missing? Adding to my caution, the property has been on the market for 3-4 months and the listing agent told me last week that they haven't seen any offers.  I even casually told him that the math doesn't work for me until i'm at a ~30% discount to current asking price.  Knowing that, he's still asking me to put in what I feel is a fair offer.  It probably doesn't matter, but my thought is he's either asking for an offer so he can claim at least one offer for his client (even if 30% lower than ask) or he really thinks the seller would consider this (I'm probably over thinking this last bit)...

Help =)

Loading replies...