Turning Challenges Into Opportunities: How I Saved My Multi-Use Property Sale

Turning Challenges Into Opportunities: How I Saved My Multi-Use Property Sale

Investor · Hendersonville, NC · Member since 2016 · 498 posts · 285 votes

I once owned a 20-acre mixed-use property in Illinois. It included 25 mobile homes, 60 self-storage units, and four commercial tenants. When the time came to sell, I anticipated a solid profit from the deal. But during the buyer’s due diligence, several unexpected issues surfaced, each cutting deeper into the profit I had worked years to earn.

The first issue was with the water lines. We discovered problems that required a lot of work and significantly reduced the property’s value, forcing me to lower the price. Soon after, mold was found in one of the self-storage units, requiring expensive remediation. The price dropped further. Then, just three weeks before closing, my largest commercial tenant—who brought in as much monthly revenue as all 25 mobile home tenants combined—announced they were moving to a location closer to their main office. This news sent the deal’s value into a tailspin.

At this point, I was looking at barely breaking even. After years of hard work, this outcome was unacceptable to me. My broker advised me to "bite the bullet" and close the deal, telling me that I should be glad I wasn’t losing money on the deal. My attorney echoed the same sentiment. But something didn’t sit right. I believed there had to be another way.

That’s when I had an aha moment. Early in my ownership, a neighboring property owner approached me about purchasing a 6-acre sliver of my land that was undeveloped. At the time, his offer was low, and I had potential plans for that space, so I turned him down. Remembering that conversation, I decided to reach out to him. As luck would have it, his business had grown significantly, and he was now more eager than ever to acquire the land.

He made me an offer 12 times higher than his original one—and well above market value. This partitioning of the property and doing a simultaneous closing completely changed the trajectory of the deal. I went from barely breaking even to walking away with a very comfortable profit.

This experience taught me two critical lessons:

  1. Never give up when the situation looks bleak. Before throwing in the towel, exhaust every possible solution. Creativity and determination can turn things around, even in dire circumstances.
  2. Always look out for your own interests. Brokers and attorneys often prioritize closing deals quickly to collect their fees and move on, which doesn’t always align with your goals. While they can provide valuable advice, you must advocate for yourself and trust your instincts.

Selling real estate—especially multi-use properties—can be full of surprises. But with perseverance and a willingness to explore unconventional options, you can turn even the toughest situations into successes.

Have any of you ever faced a deal that seemed destined to fail? How did you overcome it? I’d love to hear your stories and insights! Hearing other owners' stories helped me to not throw in the towel and pursue every avenue possible, maybe this story will help some of you.

3Reply
26 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2015 · 355 posts · 268 votes
1y

Great story. Question is, without the land deal, would you have "bitten the bullet"?

The broker giving advice is akin to asking the barber if you need a haircut.

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2015 · 355 posts · 268 votes
    1y

    Great story. Question is, without the land deal, would you have "bitten the bullet"?

    The broker giving advice is akin to asking the barber if you need a haircut.

  • Investor · Hendersonville, NC · Member since 2016 · 498 posts · 285 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Robert Rixer:

    Great story. Question is, without the land deal, would you have "bitten the bullet"?

    The broker giving advice is akin to asking the barber if you need a haircut.

    Great question @Robert Rixer.

    I never got to the point where I had to make that call, but at the end of the day, I'm not willing to go down with a sinking ship. I had a couple other ideas to salvage the deal first. One thought was to replace to large commercial tenant with a company that had a similar profile. Another was to partition the mobile home park and the self storage and the commercial tenants into 3 separate sales.

    So to answer your question, yes, I would have bitten the bullet if I had to. But I wanted to exhaust every other option first.

  • Melanie P.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 922 votes
    1y

    Good story, thank you for sharing. Brokers are brokers but I would NEVER work with that attorney again.

  • Investor · Hendersonville, NC · Member since 2016 · 498 posts · 285 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Melanie P.:

    Good story, thank you for sharing. Brokers are brokers but I would NEVER work with that attorney again.

    Thank you @Melanie P.

    And I hope I didn't give the impression of disparaging attorney's in general. I have had my butt saved many times by attorneys and I am grateful for that. However, I agree with you that I will never again work with that specific attorney again. I had other issues with her as well but there's no need to get into all these details here. 

  • Member since 2022 · 66 posts · 68 votes
    1y

    Great story and very encouraging.  I think it's easy for attorneys and brokers to become jaded and to lose that 'human touch'.

    I had to develop tenacity and perseverance when starting my business back in the mid 1990's.  I started an automotive business on the thinnest of shoe-string budgets; way under capitalized.  I was in a leased building, counting on a hand-shake deal to buy the property in the future. The owner was an unscrupulous liar.  Consequently, I lost the purchase opportunity.  I was conducting an extremely seasonal business and after 8 years of operation the business was insolvent.  A customer of mine happened to be a local real estate investor and he owned the land next to my business.  He admired my drive and offered me an owner-financed deal to buy this land.  I took the deal and bought 3 commercial building lots in a good location for $30,000.  I began shopping for a large construction loan to build a new car wash on the land.  I was laughed out of several bankers' offices; literally.  I took a break, refined the plan, and tried again.  I found a bank who would work with me and the SBA and the deal happened; I got the loan.  The construction phase had its own challenges.  One example was having to create a 720' sewer extension of the town's sewer line!  I made it happen somehow.  I still remember the first loan payment coming due and wondering where that money was going to come from!

    Soon after I built the car wash, I was evicted from my leased space where I waxed and cleaned cars.  I was crushed.  My Dad said "maybe there's room for another building beside the car wash".  He measured the area by "pacing it out" and it looked like there was room.  I borrowed more money and built a new detail shop; no more crummy landlord!


    Now the business thrives.  I remodeled the car wash and added new amazing equipment.  I sell used cars.  I bought 2 multi-family apartment buildings and plan to purchase another this year.  Never give up.  Have faith and keep your attitude right.  Look for the positive in all situations.


  • Investor · Hendersonville, NC · Member since 2016 · 498 posts · 285 votes
    1y
    Quote from @David M.:

    Great story and very encouraging.  I think it's easy for attorneys and brokers to become jaded and to lose that 'human touch'.

    I had to develop tenacity and perseverance when starting my business back in the mid 1990's.  I started an automotive business on the thinnest of shoe-string budgets; way under capitalized.  I was in a leased building, counting on a hand-shake deal to buy the property in the future. The owner was an unscrupulous liar.  Consequently, I lost the purchase opportunity.  I was conducting an extremely seasonal business and after 8 years of operation the business was insolvent.  A customer of mine happened to be a local real estate investor and he owned the land next to my business.  He admired my drive and offered me an owner-financed deal to buy this land.  I took the deal and bought 3 commercial building lots in a good location for $30,000.  I began shopping for a large construction loan to build a new car wash on the land.  I was laughed out of several bankers' offices; literally.  I took a break, refined the plan, and tried again.  I found a bank who would work with me and the SBA and the deal happened; I got the loan.  The construction phase had its own challenges.  One example was having to create a 720' sewer extension of the town's sewer line!  I made it happen somehow.  I still remember the first loan payment coming due and wondering where that money was going to come from!

    Soon after I built the car wash, I was evicted from my leased space where I waxed and cleaned cars.  I was crushed.  My Dad said "maybe there's room for another building beside the car wash".  He measured the area by "pacing it out" and it looked like there was room.  I borrowed more money and built a new detail shop; no more crummy landlord!


    Now the business thrives.  I remodeled the car wash and added new amazing equipment.  I sell used cars.  I bought 2 multi-family apartment buildings and plan to purchase another this year.  Never give up.  Have faith and keep your attitude right.  Look for the positive in all situations.


    Good stuff @David M.!

    That's exactly what I'm talking about. Tenacity goes a long way in this business and in many other businesses as well. Thank you for sharing your story.

  • Member since 2023 · 1 post · 1 vote
    1y
    Thanks for sharing.
  • Matthew DrouinPro Member
    Developer · Rochester, NY · Member since 2016 · 406 posts · 339 votes
    1y

    @Dominic Mazzarella great story.  I’ve had several deals like this on the buy side and sell side where the “gremlins” came out and started whispering against my intuitions.  Congratulations on closing the deal.  Even without those challenges you had, it was still probably hard to find a buyer because of the use mix.  Industrial buyers probably didn’t like it because they didn’t want MHP and self storage and vice versa.  So it was going to require more tenacity by you to get the deal sold either way.  Just curious, what did you end up purchasing after and why?

  • Investor · Hendersonville, NC · Member since 2016 · 498 posts · 285 votes
    1y

    Thank you @Matthew Drouin. Oddly enough, we had it under contract about 48 hours after listing it. Which was surprising because when I bought it, it was on the market for over 4 months.

    I was definitely on the fence about this one for a little while before making the purchase, but there were a number of attractive features that ultimately led me to move forward with the purchase. I had prior MHP ownership experience and all the homes were tenant owned and were about $150 below market. There was quite a bit of unused land and the zoning gave me some flexibility if I wanted to expand various aspects of the property.

    Also the self storage units were all below market rent and the seller was willing to finance at a decent rate with a 5 year balloon. I was unsure about the commercial tenants but knew I could get the MHPs up to market rent very quickly. It was definitely a tricky deal from the very beginning but I'm grateful for the entire experience.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.