Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Multi-Family and Apartment Investing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Spencer Perron
Votes |
Pros & Cons of adding a studio to an existing 4-plex building

Spencer Perron
Posted

Hi all - I have a 4 unit building in St. Paul, Minnesota. I'm considering renovating part of the basement to add another unit, effectively converting it to a 5 unit building. Wondering if anyone has ever weighed the pros & cons of adding an additional unit to a 4-plex?

While this would improve the cashflow and cap rate for resale, I'm wondering if it would shrink my market of buyers, since they could no longer use conventional financing as it would no longer conform to a 2-4 unit building. On that note, I'm also wondering if I'd be violating anything in my current loan (30 yr, fixed rate conventional financing on 2-4 unit investment property). Appreciate any thoughts folks have on this. Thanks!   

User Stats

Votes
Randall Alan
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Lakeland, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Lakeland, FL
Replied
Quote from @Spencer Perron:

Hi all - I have a 4 unit building in St. Paul, Minnesota. I'm considering renovating part of the basement to add another unit, effectively converting it to a 5 unit building. Wondering if anyone has ever weighed the pros & cons of adding an additional unit to a 4-plex?

While this would improve the cashflow and cap rate for resale, I'm wondering if it would shrink my market of buyers, since they could no longer use conventional financing as it would no longer conform to a 2-4 unit building. On that note, I'm also wondering if I'd be violating anything in my current loan (30 yr, fixed rate conventional financing on 2-4 unit investment property). Appreciate any thoughts folks have on this. Thanks!   

@Spencer Perron

Yes, I would definitely have concerns about future financing as you mention.  Also realize your insurance is based on the number of units as well.  It’s entirely likely you would have to switch insurance products  - going to a commercial policy - but check with your carrier. 

I doubt your current loan would care too much because usually it’s only looked at when underwriting…. But being that they may see the insurance change it might pique their interest in that change … you can always ask them - most banks will gladly advise you of their policies regarding such items 

4 plexes are attractive acquisitions… I’m not sure I would bump it to five if it were me.

All the best!

Randy

User Stats

Votes
Tim Swierczek
Lender
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Saint Paul, MN
Votes |
Lender
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Saint Paul, MN
Replied

@Spencer Perron check the data. Determine what it would sell for on a comp-based approach as a 4 unit (they don't sell based on cap rates) and determine what it would sell for as a Cap rate 5 unit. Try hard to find 5-7 unit property cap rates. Buyers of 5-unit properties are different from 10+ unit buyers. This data should give you a better answer than we can give. Randy is correct on the insurance, check out those rates. and then make your decision.

• Lender Arizona (#103522), Colorado (#103522), New Jersey (#103522), Florida (#103522), Wisconsin (#103522), Minnesota (#103522), Tennessee (#103522), and Texas (#103522)

The Tim Swierczek Team - Gold Star Mortgage Logo
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Replied

@Spencer Perron

I agree with the previous comments. I believe tenant laws in Saint Paul can be quite strict. I’d make sure your business plan lines up with these rules to avoid any problems. It might be a good idea to talk to a local expert to make sure you’re on the right track.

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Crivelli
Lender
  • Lender
  • Massachusetts
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
  • Massachusetts
Replied

If you ever wanted to refinance the property the loan would look totally different if you make it a legal 5 unit. Lower leverage, higher rates, you will be required to pay for a commercial narrative report instead of a standard 1025 investment property appraisal. The CNR (appraisal) typically runs 2k-4k. If you want to sell it down the road, the buyer pool for 5+ is smaller. To me, it wouldn't be worth it for a single unit.  

User Stats

Votes
Replied

Many of the above comments are very spot-on.

Not sure if this comment will help, but maybe there's a way to get the best of both worlds if you can build this studio separate from the building and split the lot?  Just a thought.

User Stats

Votes
Gino Barbaro
Pro Member
#1 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • St Augustine, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • St Augustine, FL
Replied

@Spencer Perron

Great question. I think it comes down to your exit strategy. If you're looking to hold long term, and want to add value and cash flow, then I would consider adding the unit.

It will take away some buyers, and you would need to work with your lender.