Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Multi-Family and Apartment Investing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Jorge Abreu
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
Hard Money, Soft Skills: The Winning Equation in Real Estate Negotiation 🤝

Jorge Abreu
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Dallas, TX
Posted

As a real estate investor, I've learned that you can talk about anything. To make deals go through, you need to get along with buyers and understand what drives them. I quickly learned that just because I signed a term sheet doesn't mean it's set in stone. We need to dig deeper and find out what the seller really wants. It's gotten better over time for me to connect with buyers, earn their trust, and figure out what drives them.

It's not enough to just talk about numbers in a negotiation; you also need to know what the seller is going through and what their top goals are. I can find out what's important to them by listening carefully and asking the right questions. Whether it's the interest rate spread, extensions, terms, or amount of stock needed, we can work something out that fits their needs.

I've learned that the balancing test is important. Lenders usually look at the debt payment coverage ratio within a certain amount of time. Getting a longer amount of time or changing the ratio can make a big difference in our chances of success.

In order to get better at bargaining, I've come up with plans that work. Closing assurance, putting in the best bid, and making hard money deposits are all good strategies. We build trust and improve our chances of finishing the deal by assuring sellers of a smooth closing process and showing our commitment with large deposits. Showing off our skills and track record is important because it shows how valuable we are.

Negotiation is a strong skill that helps everyone engaged. It's not about winning at the cost of others; it's about finding solutions that work for everyone. We can negotiate deals that meet our investment goals and take into account the seller's worries if we do it right. We build long-lasting relationships and make it possible for people to work together again by focusing on results that are good for everyone.

Early on, I learned how important it was to look over deal sheets carefully and never accept the first offer. This is a practice that has led to amazing results. By looking at every detail very carefully, we can find places where we can negotiate. We can change the terms to suit our needs, whether it's the interest rate, the length of the loan, or the amount of equity that is needed. I've learned to push the limits while still being polite, and to find ways to make our needs match those of the seller.

We set ourselves up for success in the competitive real estate market by learning how to negotiate, figuring out why sellers do what they do, and using good methods. We find win-win solutions that lead to profitable deals by getting to know each other, figuring out pain points, and using our negotiating power. Remember that everything can be changed. If you can accept this, you can find huge chances in real estate investing.