Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Multi-Family and Apartment Investing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes

Remodeling My First Unit On First Investment Property!

Posted

Looking for some insight on a few things before starting construction on my first rental property! Area is not a high end area by any means, all units don’t have laundry as well as no centralized air. Trying to add value but need to be mindful of spending and not overdo it. Basically everything I’m looking for is what’s the biggest bang for my buck.

1. 1. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good window ac unit? I see some that get mounted to a wall, some in the window. 3 bedrooms and only 750sqft.
  2. Swing doors, front doors and trim. Is a store like Home Depot the spot to get these items? Should I be shopping around more on these?

3. 2. LVP. Trying to avoid having too many transitions in carpet to hardwood/vinyl flooring and plan on doing LVP throughout the entire unit, bedrooms and bathroom included. Any suggestions on a good quality LVP that will last while also being a good price? I heard to get the ones with the backing to make for easier DIY install but have heard you don’t want to go too cheap also. 

4. 3. Shower. Window in the shower has is cased with a stool and apron. Obviously wood does not belong in a shower. What’s the best way to remodel this that will be the most cost effective? I thought a block window with a shower insert going right up to it but maybe that’s more expensive and more work than I should be doing.

I appreciate all the feedback I’ve been getting. This property I’ve planned on holding for only about 5-7 years due to it being 130+ years old. If anyone has any other rehab like advice I’d love to hear it! Pretty anxious about this job I’m taking on so anything to calm the nerves is appreciated! Thanks!

Loading replies...