• Dallas, TX
Votes |
✨Overcoming Underwriting Challenges in an Ever-Changing Real Estate Market

Jorge Abreu
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Dallas, TX
Posted Apr 16 2024, 13:59

In the world of real estate, I faced many problems that put my strength and drive to the test. One of the first things I had to do was figure out what underwriting meant. You had to know a lot about finances and be able to look at a property's current numbers. I had to really look into profit and loss accounts and understand how the numbers worked. I had to learn how to guess how much value I could add to a property and base my guesses on facts.

The journey was already hard because of the lack of experience and information at the start. But I'm sure that the only way to get knowledge is to do things. I believed in my own judgment, took smart risks, and learned something from every deal I backed. It took some trial and error, and with each purchase, I learned more and became better at what I did.

One of the most important things I learned was to have faith in my ability to underwrite deals. It was important to believe in my skills and the depth of my research. I learned that underwriting deals meant I had to keep learning and changing based on the market. My method to financing changed as the real estate market did. I tried new tactics, kept up with changes in the market, and changed my beliefs as needed.

My motto became "always learning." I read a lot of books, went to workshops, and looked for advice from people who had already been through the problems I was having. I knew how important it was to keep learning new things and keeping ahead of the curve. As I learned more, I understood that screening was not a fixed process, but one that needed to be improved all the time.

It wasn't just one person who had to deal with problems when underwriting deals. A big part of my success was building good ties with brokers. I knew that human ties can be very helpful, so I tried to get to know intermediaries better. It was more than just work; it was about getting to know each other and earning trust. 

I set up a model or chart to make the screening process easier and more consistent. I could put numbers into this model, look at different possible outcomes, and see if a deal made it through the first steps of financing. The model helped me narrow down my choices and focus on deals that had a chance of working out. In addition, it saved me a lot of time, which let me act quickly when a good chance came up.

The journey of overcoming challenges in underwriting deals taught me invaluable lessons. It began with understanding underwriting, despite its complexities, and learning to trust my judgment and make realistic assumptions. Confidence in underwriting came with experience and continuous learning, enabling me to adapt to ever-changing market conditions. 

Building strong relationships with brokers was essential, as it provided access to valuable deals. Finally, the implementation of a streamlined model or spreadsheet enhanced efficiency and allowed for quick analysis. With each challenge conquered, I grew as an investor and solidified my position in the real estate industry.

Understanding underwriting deals required continuous learning and adaptation to market conditions. As the real estate landscape evolved, so did my approach to underwriting.