New to real estate and looking for guidance

New to real estate and looking for guidance

Member since 2023 · 2 posts · 7 votes

Hi everyone!

I am new to real estate investment, but currently have two properties that I would like to turn into assets and start growing my portfolio. I am seeking feedback on what someone more experienced would do in my situation.

Property 1: Condo

  • Rented for 10 years
  • Negative cash flow of $300 (HOA fees)
  • Loan balance: $30,000 / 5.25% APR
  • Estimated equity: Approximately $100,000 based on recent property sales

Property 2: Single-family (Primary residence)

  • Purchased in 2017 / 2.5% APR
  • Loan balance: $230,000
  • Estimated equity: Around $250,000 based on recent property sales

A little about my "wealth", my credit score is in the 800s, I currently have $50,000 in stocks/crypto and your typical Roth, 401k. My goal is to purchase an apartment building or a few multifamily properties for long-term or short-term rentals. I also have connected with another investor that is willing to invest 50k if the re-payment is favorable. 

Now, this is where I need some guidance: I am contemplating whether I should use my stocks to pay down the condo. Once it's paid off, I would have a positive cash flow of approximately $300-$400/month, (after taxes, insurance, hoa, water utility)

On the other hand, I could withdraw money from my stocks or take a HELOC against either or both properties and use the funds to purchase a multifamily property or as a down payment for an apartment building. I also have a couple of credit cards that have plenty of credit with zero interest.
In a perfect scenario I would use the condo as a collateral, no down payment. Has anyone done this before??

I am looking to learn!! assemble a team, lender, real estate agent, CPA, and build a network or find a mentor. Finally, I want to focus in multi-families in Texas, North Carolina, Colorado and Tennessee.

I appreciate any advice or suggestions you can provide. Thank you in advance.

5Reply
22 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Consultant · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2018 · 384 posts · 330 votes
3y

@David Gonzalez Nothing about that condo seems compelling.  I would 1031 it into a new property that cashflows.

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Scott JohnsonBusiness Member
    Specialist · Greenville, NC · Member since 2019 · 673 posts · 408 votes
    3y
    Quote from @David Gonzalez:

    Hi everyone!

    I am new to real estate investment, but currently have two properties that I would like to turn into assets and start growing my portfolio. I am seeking feedback on what someone more experienced would do in my situation.

    Property 1: Condo

    • Rented for 10 years
    • Negative cash flow of $300 (HOA fees)
    • Loan balance: $30,000 / 5.25% APR
    • Estimated equity: Approximately $100,000 based on recent property sales

    Property 2: Single-family (Primary residence)

    • Purchased in 2017 / 2.5% APR
    • Loan balance: $230,000
    • Estimated equity: Around $250,000 based on recent property sales

    A little about my "wealth", my credit score is in the 800s, I currently have $50,000 in stocks/crypto and your typical Roth, 401k. My goal is to purchase an apartment building or a few multifamily properties for long-term or short-term rentals. I also have connected with another investor that is willing to invest 50k if the re-payment is favorable. 

    Now, this is where I need some guidance: I am contemplating whether I should use my stocks to pay down the condo. Once it's paid off, I would have a positive cash flow of approximately $300-$400/month, (after taxes, insurance, hoa, water utility)

    On the other hand, I could withdraw money from my stocks or take a HELOC against either or both properties and use the funds to purchase a multifamily property or as a down payment for an apartment building. I also have a couple of credit cards that have plenty of credit with zero interest.
    In a perfect scenario I would use the condo as a collateral, no down payment. Has anyone done this before??

    I am looking to learn!! assemble a team, lender, real estate agent, CPA, and build a network or find a mentor. Finally, I want to focus in multi-families in Texas, North Carolina, Colorado and Tennessee.

    I appreciate any advice or suggestions you can provide. Thank you in advance.


     Hey, from Greenville, NC!

    First off, I'd talk with your CPA about your tax burden. Your capital is tied up in assets and it will be a taxable Capital Gain (or Loss) when you sell them in order to buy a property. There's not getting around that, so you'll have less than you have in current value (which is still a good amount, though)!

    Negative CashFlow is a 'no-go' in my opinion

    You can only have a set number of them before you whittle away all of your income. The only reason one would do that is it speculate on the values going up (gamble) or because they need a heavy loss for tax purposes. Not ideal just starting out. 

    What have you been doing to educate yourself on Real Estate Investing? What have you learned about the Raleigh Market and its sub-markets that's directing you to invest in those areas?

  • Real Estate Consultant · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2018 · 384 posts · 330 votes
    3y

    @David Gonzalez Nothing about that condo seems compelling.  I would 1031 it into a new property that cashflows.

  • Erin ChurchPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · North Augusta, SC · Member since 2017 · 254 posts · 233 votes
    3y

    @David Gonzalez

    I'd sell the condo. I understand that you'd get a few hundred bucks of cashflow per month once paid off, but that's a pretty rough ROI. Also, based on how you defined cashflow, it doesn't sound like you included any money for vacancy or maintenance or potentially CapEx. I assume the condo takes care of roofs, exterior, etc, but likely not hot water heaters or HVACs. Essentially, I feel like if you were looking at the condo to purchase now, you'd never do it. You may need to look into a 1031 exchange to delay paying taxes on depreciation that was taken (or should have been).

    You could also get a HELOC on your primary - think of it as borrowing money from the other investor, but with more favorable payback terms (because you can write off the interest if you itemize).

    Have you been managing your rental?

  • Tanner PileBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2019 · 388 posts · 326 votes
    3y

    @David Gonzalez

    I like the idea of selling the condo. Yes you could get a few hundred in cash flow but dealing with HOAs can cause problems in the long run. Plus depending on the market you're looking in multi-family properties and apartment buildings can be a massive downpayment of 20-30% at times. In Colorado Duplexes are around $500k and a 4-plex can get up to $800k+. 

    Apartment buildings are into the million range and depending on size can be several million dollars to purchase. A down payment for one of those would be $200-350k. Plus If you only have a few properties going straight for an apartment building may not be the best idea. Starting with a 2-4 unit would be better plus you may need to have cash set aside for reserves and rehab. 

    Also, what are you expectations for cash flow and appreciation?

    The west (Colorado) is great for appreciation but you will still only break even or cash flow a few hundred dollars per unit compared to other markets that will cash flow a lot more a lot sooner. 

    Tanner Pile4.931 Reviews
  • Real Estate Agent · Arlington, TX · Member since 2016 · 151 posts · 54 votes
    3y

    Hi! I am an Agent/investor in DFW, TX and can help you find something in this area if youre interested!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.