NYC Proper or Hudson Valley (Jersey) for Home Hack Multi Family

NYC Proper or Hudson Valley (Jersey) for Home Hack Multi Family

Member since 2023 · 6 posts · 6 votes

Hi all,

I have been looking to get some skin in the real estate game through house hacking a multi family home. Given NYC has such high COL it is a no brainer to have tenants subsidize my rent. So far I have been looking exclusively in Brooklyn -- focused on Sunset Park, Flatbush, PLG, and Bed-Stuy. These deals often don't cash flow (at least not right away and not with a 5% down FHA) and have high prices ($800k - $1500k).

Given this outlook I have started exploring across the Hudson. Jersey City seems to have much better rent-price ratios at much more affordable entry prices. Although, property taxes do seem to be considerably higher. Would love any feedback in the following areas between the two:

- General real estate experience in each area

- Cost of doing business (agent fees, closing costs, cross-state loans, etc.)

- Rent and Value Appreciation

- Other hidden costs in each area

- Legal hoops

- Taxes

Anyone have any advice on why I might go one way or the other? 

1Reply
16 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Basit SiddiqiBusiness Member
    Accountant · New York, NY · Member since 2015 · 8k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y

    @Damon Bodine is a person who does a lot of research on house-hacking in the NYC and surrounding areas. You may want to see his input.

  • Member since 2023 · 98 posts · 31 votes
    3y

    Colin Mills - I've house-hacked in Bayridge Brooklyn for over 16 years. I've seen several properties in Sunset Park that would be great opportunities to house-hack and rent by rooms. DM is you want to discuss further.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.