Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Foreclosures
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Bryan Weller
  • Clarksville, TN
Votes |
How long to hold on to foreclosures before resell.

Bryan Weller
  • Clarksville, TN
Posted

Sorry, I'm having a rough day and my brain is fried. Can someone tell me or point me to a post that outlines how long you have to own a home you purchased from foreclosure before you can resell? I want to know for VA, FHA, HUD and whatever else you think of. I tried to search the forum but couldn't get the right keywords to get what I was looking for.

User Stats

Votes
Wayne Brooks#1 Foreclosures Contributor
  • Real Estate Professional
  • West Palm Beach, FL
Votes |
  • West Palm Beach, FL
Replied

Do you mean at the auction, as a REO, or as a short sale. Some have resell restrictions, depending on the seller.

User Stats

Votes
Bryan Weller
  • Clarksville, TN
Votes |
  • Clarksville, TN
Replied

I'm sorry. I did a horrible job explaining that. What I was asking was when someone comes to buy a home with VA or FHA financing (which is something like 95% of loans in my market), they don't like flippers in that if you are charging more than 20% of what you paid within a certain time frame, the qualification won't go through within a certain number of days unless you go to great lengths to show marked improvements in the house justifying the increase in value. I want to know that time frame.

Rent To Retirement logo
Rent To Retirement
|
Sponsored
Turnkey Rentals 12+ States. SFR, MF & New Builds, High ROI! 3.99% rates, 5% down loans, below market prices across the US! Txt REI to 33777

User Stats

Votes
Bryan L.
  • Residential Real Estate Agent
  • Cookeville, TN
Votes |
  • Residential Real Estate Agent
  • Cookeville, TN
Replied

I'm in TN too, and most buyers here are using "rural development" loans - and these do not require any seasoning. I don't think VA does either. On FHA I think it's 90 days. It will probably take you at least half of that to do a rehab anyway. Check with a local lender. Do you have Mortgage Investors Group (they are lenders in the first-time buyer market) in your area?

User Stats

Votes
Wayne Brooks#1 Foreclosures Contributor
  • West Palm Beach, FL
Votes |
  • West Palm Beach, FL
Replied

Okay, that's not really just an FHA problem who I believe require 2 appraisals if resale is within 90 days. More importantly, it's an overall appraisal issue, as that house is it's own best comp. Expect to show receipts and document improvements to get a true FMV on your appraisal.