Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Foreclosures
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
James Park
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Johns Creek, GA
Votes |
The millionaire real estate agent - Do i need to join Keller Williams?

James Park
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Johns Creek, GA
Posted

One of my favorite books is the millionaire real estate agent by Gary Keller. The book shows how one can build a brokerage and have a mind set of a business owner. Although, I've ran my own business (non real estate related) since July of 2007 and it has provided me a stable income for the past 5 years, however it is not a business of my passion. It is becoming harder and harder for me to sustain.

July 2012 was a turning point in my life when my father, who was friend and mentor, suddenly died of a heart attack at such a young age of 65. He always told me that you have to be in a business that you love... otherwise you will not be successful. My father's sudden death completely changed how i viewed money and life but that's a different topic for another thread.

I am currently wth a small brokerage, Park Mason Brokers who gives me a very generous commission cut of only a $195 transaction fee. I recently closed two investors working as a buyer's agent. I don't mind working with investors, but i quickly realized that I much rather work as a listing agent than a buyer's agent. You have more control over your time and have more leverage. When you work as a buyer's agent, you have less control over your time.

If you work as a buyer's agent, i assume that most people don't care about whch brokerage you are with, but as a listing agent, customer would care a great deal if you are from a brand name brokerage like Keller Williams, compared a no name brokerage like Park Mason. Am I correct in my thinking? Ideally I would like to work 80% in the list side and only 20% in the buy side. Would it be wise for me join Keller Williams at this time if i want to eventually have my own brokerage. Sort of feel like a lone ranger trying to kick start this new business. I do have 5 year team of a web developer/DBA,designer, and an assitant with my current business and trying figure out how to leverage this team to my new real estate business.

Loading replies...