Tax Delinquent Sale Process HELP!

Tax Delinquent Sale Process HELP!

Investor · Lemoyne, PA · Member since 2014 · 22 posts · 4 votes

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for advice on the process of purchasing a tax delinquent property. I am interested in purchasing a property that has the below image posted on the front door. I was wondering what the best way to purchase a property of this type is and if anyone has experience doing it themselves.

I appreciate any input!


(I blocked out personal information but the property owner is behind on taxes for the past 3 years for an amount of roughly $24,000)

0Reply
22 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Coppell, TX · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    I apologize for the simple answer, but can you follow the guidelines on the notice?   I can't read the fine print, but does it not list a sale date, sale location, or contact info for the person/organization posting the notice?  If not google the address and maybe more details can be found online for the date and location of the sale.  If that fails, call the appraisal district and or the tax collector/assessor where the home is located.  Ask them for advice on how the sale works, the terms, location, time.   Typically it is cash or cashier's checks....no loans.   Know what you are buying and the redemption terms if any.  Are you buying the deed or a lien.  You might google tax lien lady...I think she is located in PA .  Every state, county and taxing jurisdiction is a little different, so you probably need someone who knows PA tax sales specifically to guide you in the process.   Know your lien hierarchy and do a title search before you buy.

  • Attorney · Nashville, TN · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Nick Liddell

    Contact the relevant tax claim bureau to get more information about the local procedure. But from what I can see, it looks like it's an upset sale. I'm oversimplifying it a bit but an upset sale does not really divest anything but the ownership interest in the property. So an upset sale doesn't divest any of the other interests in the property (e.g. mortgage, other liens, etc.). 

    If the property doesn't sell at the upset sale, the bureau will eventually conduct a judicial sale (a/k/a free and clear sale). While this kind of sale could theoretically divest most of the other interests, the bureaus often do not follow proper procedure due to the sheer volume of cases they need to handle. Thus the risk level is still high. 

    Also, note that getting a marketable title for a tax-sale property may require you to conduct a quiet-title action or wait a really long time. So if you intend to refinance or sell the property, you have to keep those potential costs in mind. 

    Disclaimer: While I’m an attorney licensed to practice in PA, I’m not your attorney. What I wrote above does not create an attorney/client relationship between us. I wrote the above for informational purposes. Do not rely on it for legal advice. Always consult with your attorney before you rely on the above information.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.