4-Plex deal in critical condition. Plan B: anyone connected at Chase?

4-Plex deal in critical condition. Plan B: anyone connected at Chase?

Note Investor · Pasadena, CA · Member since 2009 · 849 posts · 544 votes

Summary of my 4-plex deal:

1. Seller buys house for $30,000 in 1969.
2. In 2004, seller takes out a $350K 1st Trust Deed against what was, at the time, a free-and-clear 4-plex.
3. By 2010, seller has let property run down, and is behind on payments.
4. In January 2011, seller enters purchase agreement to sell property "subject to" to yours truly for $393K.
5. During escrow, seller drags feet, attempting to find ways to avoid paying taxes, as he is looking at a fairly large capital gains tax bill. Turns out that not only does he not have the money to pay his mortgage or his capital gains tax bill, he hasn't filed taxes in 3 years! (In case you're wondering, I never asked for Schedule Es because this property had 3 vacant/boarded up units).

So, I've had a small fortune sitting in escrow for 2 1/2 weeks now, making no money, and limiting my ability to make offers on other potential deals.

My plan now is to try to contact someone at Chase, and simply offer to buy the note. I made a half-hearted attempt yesterday, but didn't have the time to wait.

Does anyone have a REAL connection at Chase that can make this type of decision?

0Reply
22 views

Most Popular Reply

Mobile Home Investor · Spanaway, WA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 578 votes
15y

With 3 boarded up units is the income good enough to support a sale price of $393K? Perhaps I am missing something, but it does not sound like that good of a deal. The property is run down. What exactly is the draw for you to want this property so badly?

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Landlord · Seattle, WA · Member since 2010 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    15y

    I'll ask around. I have connections at several banks, but have very few dealings with Chase. Perhaps others know of someone.

  • Mobile Home Investor · Spanaway, WA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 578 votes
    15y

    With 3 boarded up units is the income good enough to support a sale price of $393K? Perhaps I am missing something, but it does not sound like that good of a deal. The property is run down. What exactly is the draw for you to want this property so badly?

  • Note Investor · Pasadena, CA · Member since 2009 · 849 posts · 544 votes
    15y

    Realtyman,

    I have done my walk-thru and have rehab pegged at $50K. I would be all-in at $450K.

    Insta-rent prices for for each unit would be $1500.

    The property would appraise at $620-$660K after rehab based on three 120-day comps I have in the immediate area. I have another rental in the area.

    The plan was to try to refi after 6 months (I have a lender that will consider it after 6 months, but certainly after 12). At 70% LTV, in a worse case scenario ($600K) I would be able refi the $330K 1st & pull out $90K.

    I would have been ultimately be into the property $30K out of pocket, and cash-flowing $1200/month after debt-servicing.

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Costa Mesa, CA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 380 votes
    15y

    Loc- I've got a buddy in Pasadena who has an REO account with Chase, has done thousands of BPOs for them, and also has some NAHREP connections. Can't promise anything yet, but he sounded hopeful yesterday when I talked to him about this.

    Stay tuned.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.