What value does a lawyer actually provide on REO transaction?

What value does a lawyer actually provide on REO transaction?

Orlando, FL · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 282 votes

Here's the way I look at it:

--The initial as-is contract is the generic one used by state realtors & is always the same, so no need for lawyer to look at it.

--The bank addendum, although long, is usually pretty understandable for a layperson. In any case I've heard that the banks usually won't allow them to be changed.

--So I am paying the lawyer $250 to spend a few minutes looking at a a HUD, which is just numbers & understandable by me, and a title commitment.

So am I really getting $250 worth of value by using a lawyer for an REO transaction? Is there something I'm missing here? What do other people here do?

0Reply
14 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    16y

    If you understand the PSA and bank addendums and are confortable with the provisions (as-is, etc) no attorney is needed. I have NEVER used an attorney to review a PSA and addendum for an REO purchase. I don't see the need, but in the case of a beginner, it may be a comfort for some legal eyes looking out for them.
    That said, it is your agent's job representing you in the trabsaction to also look out for your best interests.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.