Pre-Offer Inspector vs Contractor (or Both) for REO

Pre-Offer Inspector vs Contractor (or Both) for REO

Dayton, OH · Member since 2017 · 7 posts · 1 vote

Thank you all in advance for the time to help me out with a question.

I have found a foreclosure (REO) property that I am interested in placing an offer on. It needs some obvious work, but given that it is my first property and I have no construction/contracting experience, I was thinking it might be a good idea to walk through the property with someone before even making an offer. Would the best person be an inspector or a contractor, or should I bring both? My understanding is that the inspector has a better idea of what is wrong and what needs to be fixed and the contractor is more of the guy to fix it and would know how much it would cost to do so?

I know there is at least a small mold problem, would it be of benefit to bring a mold remediator in as well to give me an idea? 

Or, am I over-complicating this, and I should just make an offer contingent on an inspection/contractor and mold assessment (would also need a Title V inspection as the bank is refusing to do one)? My issue with that is that I do not know if the price being suggested is even remotely appropriate (let alone how much to make for an offer), without advice from these folks. 

Yes, this is a fairly basic question, but I think it is complicated by the fact that it is an REO and I've heard that banks typically have no patience for a lot of contingencies associated with their offers. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

0Reply
29 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Garden City, NY · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Keith Reisinger-Kindle

    You wouldn't use an inspector for a walk through pre-offer. With REOs, the power and water usually aren't turned on until after your offer is accepted, so the inspector can't really tell you much.

    Generally, you would get a contractor to do a walk through so you can give a proper offer. Usually shouldn't cost you anything.

  • Investor · Annapolis, MD · Member since 2014 · 25 posts · 5 votes
    9y

    I am a contractor and investor, I have bought and sold quite a few, several were REO's . I agree with Christopher, a good contractor is your best asset in this situation. He knows what to look for, I would be looking for structural issues. They will be the most expensive to repair. The banks are going to give you the best deal if your offer is AS IS, WHERE IS, they just want to dump it. That's not to say that they are desperate. Good Luck!

  • Dayton, OH · Member since 2017 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    Thank you both for the reply!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.