Alabama Tax Lien. Do I have to wait?

Alabama Tax Lien. Do I have to wait?

Birmingham, AL · Member since 2016 · 3 posts · 0 votes
So I got 2 tax liens in Alabama. Everything is assessed in my name. I know that if you buy a lien at the tax sale, you must wait six months after written notice has been served before you can file for ejectment. But if you buy the tax lien property from the state 2 years after the sale, could you consider the states notice when it bought the lien as the notice and go ahead with a ejectment? Does anyone have any experience?
0Reply
9 views

Most Popular Reply

JD, CCIM , Real Estate Broker · Tuscaloosa, AL · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
10y

No, Luke, you have to give your own notice. You cannot "tack" onto anything related to the state.  @Roy Oliphant, who is the attorney you use? I'm considered THE tax sale expert in Alabama, but my law license is in Texas, not Alabama (moved here from Texas.) I'm always looking for knowledgeable local attorneys to whom I can refer people.  BTW, I went to undergraduate school at University of Dallas, law school in Alabama (parents lived here--in state rates!) and then practiced law in Houston. Sure miss Texas!

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rockwall, TX · Member since 2014 · 380 posts · 211 votes
    10y

    @Luke Mahan

    According to the attorney we work with for Alabama, you need to initiate the notice and the time with the state does not count.  Send notices immediately and get he clock started.  And if you don't want to wait, let me know.  We may be interested in purchasing your interest immediately.

  • Consultant · Ball Ground, GA · Member since 2015 · 228 posts · 100 votes
    10y

    @Roy Oliphant He said that was a tax lien and not a deed so he would have to wait for the tax deed which is 3 years from the tax sale.   At least that is my understanding of AL law.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.  

    Thanks,

    Joe

  • JD, CCIM , Real Estate Broker · Tuscaloosa, AL · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    No, Luke, you have to give your own notice. You cannot "tack" onto anything related to the state.  @Roy Oliphant, who is the attorney you use? I'm considered THE tax sale expert in Alabama, but my law license is in Texas, not Alabama (moved here from Texas.) I'm always looking for knowledgeable local attorneys to whom I can refer people.  BTW, I went to undergraduate school at University of Dallas, law school in Alabama (parents lived here--in state rates!) and then practiced law in Houston. Sure miss Texas!

  • Birmingham, AL · Member since 2016 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    Thanks Denise! I was just making sure that's what you said in your seminar. 

    Roy, thanks for the advice and offer! I think I am going to wait and see what happens. God has taught me patience through this whole process. 

  • Wholesaler · Lehi, UT · Member since 2015 · 333 posts · 144 votes
    10y

    Many of the rules and regulations for tax liens in AL are on this website. 

    There is a section that explains how it works with delinquent taxes and part of the state statute as well.  It is interesting to see how it is handled with the years of redemption, which was stated before is 3.  Once no longer at the tax sale all of the tax liens are handled by the State rather than the county.  Here are the administrative rules that you can read through and learn how it works also:

    http://revenue.alabama.gov/advalorem/rulesandregs/

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.