Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Foreclosures
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Michael Dunn
  • Olive Branch, MS
Votes |
Using a VA Loan to Purchase a Foreclosure ......

Michael Dunn
  • Olive Branch, MS
Posted

Good Morning ,

So I'm currently browsing through some Foreclosed / REO properties in my area , of which some of these properties are in good areas and within my budget/What I can afford ( DTI wise )

My question is ..... Given that these are Foreclosed Properties ..... What KEY things do I need to look for , that may disqualify these ( or any property for that matter ), for qualifying and going the VA Loan route ?

I have heard that the VA Loans are the most restrictive, as far as a Property can have virtually " NOTHING " wrong with it, I'E. has to be in Liveable/move in condition as the property currently sits, in order for it to qualify.

Given this, What things will usually disqualify a property for getting approved for a VA loan ?

A lot of these properties I'm looking at, are mainly just outdated ( Fixtures, cabinets , older appliances ), needs carpet replaced, most have wall paper on the walls , needs an updated paint job both inside in out .

So not really things that make it un-liveable , but just mainly need updated

Which brings me to ...... If a house does have some rotten wood ( siding and trim around the windows and or doors , missing an appliance or two ( say there's no stove or dishwasher ) ...... If all that it needs is the forementioned , will the property NOT go VA ?

And is there anyway to still get a property that needs some things fixed on it via a VA loan , so long as the repairs are Under a certain amount .... $1,000 or less ? $5,000 or less ?

The FHA / HUD listed properties , shows ( Insured or Un-Insured ) next to a property , as well as a Report showing the property condition , as well as any repairs that are deemed " Mandatory " to be fixed . So when looking over these Property reports on HUD listed properties ( or any property for that matter ) , what things do I need to look for on these Reports , that I Know will disqualify a property from getting approved for a VA loan ?

Thanks so much, really appreciate the help and insight from those to have done VA loans and or know the inner workings of these Loans and what conditions a Property MUST meet in order to get approved.

Just trying to save myself the time and hassle, of finding a property I like ..... Only to find out it won't go VA loan, due to needing X Y or Z

Thanks again

Loading replies...