Help - advice needed - how to walk away

Help - advice needed - how to walk away

Member since 2008 · 1 post · 0 votes

HELP! HELP! Please somebody help me!
Three years ago I was completely debt free.:D: Then I bought my house at below the market value â€" 165K. It appraised 180K the day I purchased it. Then I used credit cards to do some home improvements, hoping that the house will appreciate.:oops: Since then I refinanced several times. As a result I currently owe 192K on my first mortgage, 46K on my second (it was high LTV â€"115% loan), and have 25K on credit cards. Nine months ago when I last refinanced my house appraised (with a push) 200K. Since then the houses in my subdivision went down about 10%. So, today my house is worth less than 185K (optimistically), and is going down about 1% per month. I am current on all my bills. My FICO score is about 800. But I barely hang on. My employer cut off bonuses, froze the salaries, and with the last price hike, I am not able to make it any more. Try feeding and clothing 5 people with 500/month. :cry: This house is too expensive for me. I am not looking for a short-term solution. I am very stressed out. I do not think I am able to do a short sale. So I am thinking about walking away. But I am afraid that I will get deficiency judgment. I have no assets. But I do not want them to garnish my pay for life.
I live in Missouri. My second mortgage is with Homecomings Financial.
My plan was to find a place to rent when I still have good credit. And then to stop paying for my house, and wait for the foreclosure. I do not want to talk or communicate with any of my mortgage companies. Can Homecomings Financial sue me on the note for the deficiency? And if I move, will I receive the certified letter about the judgment? I’ve heard that they have 10 years to do that. How will I know if they decided not to sue me?
I need to file a bankruptcy after they send me the letter, but before the actual judgment, correct? I am so confused. What is the timeline? My wife works part time, making $300/month. Shall I just ask her to quit, if I am preparing for the bankruptcy, since my income is just the borderline about the means test? And what if both mortgage companies sue me for deficiency? When should I go to bankruptcy? How long does it take to receive the deficiency judgment after you stop paying? If I do not get sued, I will not file bankruptcy, and just pay my credit cards, even if it takes me some time.
I already contacted two bankruptcy lawyers. They told me to walk away first, and then if I get sued, I have to file a bankruptcy, but if I leave the house I may not qualify for chapter 7. I really do not want to go into chapter 13, and 5 years of repayments.
What shall I do? Please advise!

0Reply
24 views

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • AL · Member since 2008 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    17y

    Sell it to an Investor.

  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    17y

    Why do you think you can't do a short sale?

    Why don't you just follow the advice of the bankruptcy lawyers?

    If you just walk away, you can rest assured the lenders will eventually come after you. If you manage to dodge their letters, it will just go to court without you, and the judgments will go on your credit record and will get recorded.

    Why don't you want to talk to the lenders?

    Face it, you've already "sold" this house with all these refis and spent the money. Now the pain comes.

  • Real Estate Investor · the villages, FL · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    17y

    Missouri is a deficiency judgement state, but many are not. AZ,CA, MN, WA and others. Depends on the state you live in.

  • Lakebay, WA · Member since 2008 · 48 posts · 0 votes
    17y

    John, Can't and would not give out any legal advice as for the reasons above. Find the best Real Estate Attorney and team up with a Bankruptcy Attorney. These attorneys should be able to provide sound advice and direction. Sure it will cost but it will be the best money you have spent in a long time.

  • Real Estate Investor · Mountain View, CA · Member since 2008 · 234 posts · 32 votes
    17y

    The nicer side of me agrees that you should follow what others have said and take the advice of a good lawyer.

    The sarcastic side of me just sees this as another example of someone who has no idea how to manage money and ultimately I and others in society will have to pay for it... Sorry, but if you can't live up to your obligations, I think you should have your credit destroyed, salary garnished, etc.

  • Real Estate Investor · the villages, FL · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    17y

    Tom K- How do you REALLY feel? tic.

  • Real Estate Consultant · Member since 2008 · 792 posts · 30 votes
    17y

    I do not want to talk or communicate with any of my mortgage companies.

    I understand that feeling, but get over it. It is your responsibility to talk to them. Furthermore, things are never as bad as they seem.

    How much are your total mortgage obligations?

    Figure that out, create a budget, then find a night job. It is extremely doable. It's not like you have a $1.2M loan on a house worth $700,000. Your loan seems to be around $200,000. Your payment cannot be that much higher than when you purchased.

    Seriously, your problem is not that bad (relatively speaking). Don't shirk your responsibilities.

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    17y

    Second that motion.

  • Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 86 votes
    17y

    It's only money and not the end of the world. Get yourself an attorny and listen to them. There is nothing stopping you from picking up a extra job and working more to pay off your CC debt. You spent money you didn't have and now you have to pay the price. Stop whining, pick up another job or 2 part time jobs and make some extra money to get your head above water.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.