Submitted offer on a REO. Multiple offers present. Bank is... MIA! What would you do?

Submitted offer on a REO. Multiple offers present. Bank is... MIA! What would you do?

Manville, NJ · Member since 2015 · 141 posts · 87 votes

I submitted an offer on a REO property recently. The offer was all cash and $1,000 over the banks asking price. I called the bank to verify if the offer was received and found out there are "multiple offers" on the property. It has been 10 days now and still no response from the bank. The property is literally a steal so to speak. I'm considering submitting a higher offer as the property is well worth it. Problem is... I'm out of cash. If I was to submit a higher offer I would have to utilize a hard money loan. Cash vs. Hard Money? How do the banks look at that? Should I leave my cash offer of $1k over asking price and hope for the best or submit a higher offer using a hard money loan?

Also, I've heard that banks usually respond to offers on REO properties within a few days, maybe up to a week. What could be causing the delay?

0Reply
55 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Marianna Florida · Member since 2011 · 357 posts · 169 votes
11y

I'm an REO Agent in St Pete FL. These days banks would rather sell a property to an owner/occupant - even with financing. Banks get paid on the day of closing so they don't care if it is an "all cash" offer.

Since banks received bailout money, they have to participate in "neighborhood stabilization" programs which means they want to sell to owner occupants. Many banks instruct listing agents NOT to even accept offers from investors for up to 15 days after the property hits MLS.

Bob's correct. Just about every REO in the Tampa Bay area, and I'd guess all REOs everywhere for that matter, are going to have multiple offers within an hour of hitting MLS. That's why you'll hear the phrase "highest and best" offer a lot when going after REOs.

To you success...

See this reply in the discussion

17 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 427 votes
    11y

    What is the funding gap?  If the amount is small, there are ways to work that (message me).

    From the bank's perspective, generally, cash and hard money should be equivalent assuming you plan to waive financing contingency.

    Each bank is different, but they have procedures, bureaucracy, etc that would cause a delay in responding to offers.  And it happens to be, the longer they wait, the higher the price they can get.. which is definitely not beneficial for us who are buying.

  • Investor · Saint Petersburg, FL · Member since 2013 · 73 posts · 29 votes
    11y

    I've seen REOs go for 30-40% over listing price here in St. Pete.   It's not often, but I've seen it more than once in trendy neigborhoods where the asking price was well under market.   I've also seen properties sit around a long time in the same places where the bank over priced them at listing.   Sometimes I think they use a dartboard to set listing prices.

    My policy is to offer the max it's worth to me, win or lose.   I've only won one of those with lots of bids (out of about 5 tries), but made out pretty good on that one.

  • Investor · Lusby, MD · Member since 2015 · 121 posts · 36 votes
    11y

    I agrfee with Bob. I go in knowing what I'm willing to pay and hold at that. I lost a house in Florida to an all cash bid - we offered the same. It needed a roof and I figured that into my bid. The cash person expected the bank to drop the cost $15K for the roof and when the bank didn't, the cash person backed out. I had moved on and was up against a cash bidder again, REO. We both offered asking. They gave it to me because they felt I was a better risk. You just have to keep knocking on doors - sounds to me like the bank wants to run the price up. Are you losing other opportunities by waiting? If not wait it out.

  • Real Estate Agent · Southington, CT · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y

    The last you heard from the bank was that there was multiple offers?  and that was 10 days ago?

    Odds are the multiple offer bid submission time is over.  Did you submit a bid once they told you they were in highest and best?  Are you working with an agent?  They should have been able to inform you about this process.

    Check the MLS or realtor.com and see if the property in under deposit.

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 18k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    11y

    Most likely the bank awarded the property to another buyer and you just haven't been notified.  Did you submit your offer through a buyers agent or the listing agent?  Regardless, call that agent and ask the status.

  • Rental Property Investor · Marianna Florida · Member since 2011 · 357 posts · 169 votes
    11y

    I'm an REO Agent in St Pete FL. These days banks would rather sell a property to an owner/occupant - even with financing. Banks get paid on the day of closing so they don't care if it is an "all cash" offer.

    Since banks received bailout money, they have to participate in "neighborhood stabilization" programs which means they want to sell to owner occupants. Many banks instruct listing agents NOT to even accept offers from investors for up to 15 days after the property hits MLS.

    Bob's correct. Just about every REO in the Tampa Bay area, and I'd guess all REOs everywhere for that matter, are going to have multiple offers within an hour of hitting MLS. That's why you'll hear the phrase "highest and best" offer a lot when going after REOs.

    To you success...

  • Investor · west seneca, NY · Member since 2014 · 376 posts · 211 votes
    11y

    i would just sit on your offer. it sounds like the bank accepted another offer. they are really under no obligation to notify you when they do this. if you get it, you get it. if you don't, you don't. move on to the next one. there is always another one out there, but always stand on your final offer. 

  • Jeff CopelandBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Tampa Bay/St Petersburg, FL · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    11y

    I agree with @Bob Ebaugh and @Tammy Vitale - $1k over asking is not that much, depending on how the property was priced. I've seen REOs going $10k (20%) or more over asking in St Pete and Pinellas Park recently. 

    I'm not sure if the banks are pricing low just to start a bidding war, or if the valuation models are just lagging behind reality (probably a bit of both), but the bottom line is you have to ignore the asking price and just make your highest and best offer based on your personal goals and your own analysis of the deal.

    As far as how and when the banks notify you - who knows? They all have their own procedures and bureaucracy. I recently made an offer on an REO, only to have the bank come back almost two weeks later with the "highest and best" response. But in most cases, I've had some kind of response from the listing agent within 5 business days. Every bank is different, and every listing is different.

    Your offer most likely included an expiration date (it's standard on the FAR-BAR As-Is contract). Once that date has passed, the bank can still consider your offer, but you are not obligated to perform. So you can move on and keep shopping for other deals - if the bank comes back and wants to accept your two week old offer after it has expired, you then have the option of playing ball or telling them no thanks.

    Copeland Morgan LLC4.770 Reviews
  • Investor · Bradenton, FL · Member since 2015 · 44 posts · 22 votes
    11y

    Agree with posts above particularly @Mark Elliott and @Jeff Copeland. I put an expiration on my offer so if I don't hear back I know I can move on to another deal. And my offer is based on numbers that work for me, not the seller/bank but I'm pretty conservative with my approach.  If I had a bigger budget I would probably engage a bit more in the bidding war.

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 18k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Vivianne Salazar:

    I put an expiration on my offer so if I don't hear back I know I can move on to another deal.

    For reference, banks don't care about expiration dates and having one on your offer won't make any difference in the transaction. A bank will never accept your REO offer without asking you to sign additional documents, so even if they verbally accept your offer, it won't go binding unless/until you sign the other docs. So, even if you don't put an expiration on your offer (I never do), you'll never get unexpectedly locked into a deal.

  • Investor · Bradenton, FL · Member since 2015 · 44 posts · 22 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @J Scott:
    Originally posted by @Vivianne Salazar:

    I put an expiration on my offer so if I don't hear back I know I can move on to another deal.

    For reference, banks don't care about expiration dates and having one on your offer won't make any difference in the transaction. A bank will never accept your REO offer without asking you to sign additional documents, so even if they verbally accept your offer, it won't go binding unless/until you sign the other docs. So, even if you don't put an expiration on your offer (I never do), you'll never get unexpectedly locked into a deal.

    Thank you for pointing that out J Scott.  I am not worried about being locked into the deal but it's more of a courtesy not only to the bank but also to my realtor that I am no longer interested beyond that date.  And banks don't care much for a lot of things anyways.

  • Flipper · Poconos, PA · Member since 2015 · 198 posts · 42 votes
    11y

    Hey I'm  a new invested but I will take the advice of everyone here it makes a lot of sense. By the way I love st. pete been there many times. Hope to move there one day. 

  • Investor · west seneca, NY · Member since 2014 · 376 posts · 211 votes
    11y

    banks can be real pains in the *** sometimes. especially when trying to get some information about any houses they own. it would seem to me that the bank would welcome any and all offers to get these houses off their books. but then, at times, they seem like they are in the business of collecting houses and holding on to them. personally, i would make offers to the banks, stand your ground on the offers and hope for the best. if it doesn't happen, then it wasn't meant to be. move on to the next house. there is always another one anyway. 

  • Investor · Bradenton, FL · Member since 2015 · 51 posts · 5 votes
    11y

    Good afternoon everyone! I'm a Realtor in the Hillsborough/Sarasota county areas. I rarely see a bank accept any offer under 5 percent of the list price. I feel many people forget that FMV doesn't mean the same thing as the listing price and try to low ball the list price. Eventually that leads to the investor losing out on a potential money maker. I see it all the time.

  • Manville, NJ · Member since 2015 · 141 posts · 87 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Adrian Chu:

    What is the funding gap?  If the amount is small, there are ways to work that (message me).

    From the bank's perspective, generally, cash and hard money should be equivalent assuming you plan to waive financing contingency.

    Each bank is different, but they have procedures, bureaucracy, etc that would cause a delay in responding to offers.  And it happens to be, the longer they wait, the higher the price they can get.. which is definitely not beneficial for us who are buying.

    I'm starting to understand what the bank is doing. The funding gap is about $15,000. That doesn't include the cost to fix the place up. Any idea on how I can go around that funding gap? 

  • Manville, NJ · Member since 2015 · 141 posts · 87 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Michael Noto:

    The last you heard from the bank was that there was multiple offers?  and that was 10 days ago?

    Odds are the multiple offer bid submission time is over.  Did you submit a bid once they told you they were in highest and best?  Are you working with an agent?  They should have been able to inform you about this process.

    Check the MLS or realtor.com and see if the property in under deposit.

    My bad, I worded my response the wrong way. I just spoke with the bank on Friday I believe. That's when they told me there were multiple offers. I don't know much more. The agent refused to say anything else. They took the property off the MLS- that I know for a fact. I'm working with an agent.

  • Manville, NJ · Member since 2015 · 141 posts · 87 votes
    11y

    I read all the responses and it appears that the bank is waiting to get the highest price. I'm gonna sit on this deal to see what happens although I have a feeling it will fall apart. Like Mark said, if it doesn't happen it wasn't meat to be. I'm not gonna stress over it. It's not like I got my money tied up in that property. I'm already looking at another one in the mean time. Thank you all for the great responses! I learned a few things about the process. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.