A partner and I are working out the details to a partnership

A partner and I are working out the details to a partnership

Real Estate Investor · Kalamazoo, MI · Member since 2008 · 40 posts · 0 votes

My friend is a rehabber in a city about an hour north of me. I have a direct mail marketing campaign set up in my own town that targets foreclosures. We have been talking about partnering up.

Basically I will be setting up a direct mail campaign for homeowners facing foreclosure in his target areas. When I find them I will negotiate the short sale on his behalf and I will do all of this for a fee. I see this as being similar to a wholesaler/investor relationship. So I've created a way that I believe is a pretty standard way for wholesalers to figure out their wholesale fee.

I will take the as-is value of the property (FMV) and subtract the price my partner wants me to negotiate ($) to figure out the equity I am negotiating into the deal. So E = FMV-$

I will base my fee on the equity I am building into the deal. Something like 20% of the Equity.

So if I were to find a property with an as-is value of $85,000 and I got the property for him for $50,000 then there would be $35,000 in equity. This would result in a $7,000 fee.

The as-is value will be figured by subtracting (cost of repairs)-(after-repair-value).

Is this fair? Is this a pretty standard way to calculate something like this?

[Cliff's Notes]: I will be finding the properties and negotiating the short sale for an investor for a fee of 20% of the equity I build into the deal. Equity will be calculated by subtracting the sales price from the as-is value. Fair? Comments?

0Reply
18 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Canyon Lake, TX · Member since 2008 · 74 posts · 3 votes
    18y

    This is probably not the response your looking for but......

    I was at a seminar on extracting benefits from corporations and there was a discussion of the correct or best structure, for example, C corp, LLC, S corp, Sole Proprietor, Partnership. The "instructor" stopped and asked the room of 200 people, "How many of you have been in a partnership?". About 20 people raised their hands. He then asked, "How many of you would enter into a partnership again" All twenty dropped their hands. The instructor then said, "I get that same reaction each and every time.

    Never work with friends or relatives and never enter into partnerships...nothing good comes from it. Probably the primary reason is that people are reluctant to put the details and roles and responsibilities in writing.

    Good luck

  • Real Estate Investor · Kalamazoo, MI · Member since 2008 · 40 posts · 0 votes
    18y

    I'm not talking about creating a business entity with him. I'm just going to work short sales for him in his target area. I'm wondering if the deal that I proposed is fair or not.

  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    18y

    The usual rule of thumb is that a rehabber needs to acquire properties at 70% of ARV, less the cost of repairs. So, in you example, say the ARV is $100K. It need $15K in repairs. 70% of ARV is $70K. Less the $15K in repairs means the rehabber needs to get it for $55K. If you can acquire it for $50K, you could take $5K and leave the investor where he needs to be.

    However, different people have different criteria. If you're bringing me properties, I'd do the calculation as above, and buy the house at $55K and reject it at $57K. And, yes, I would reject it over $2000. You must ask your "partner" his criteria. A $57K price might be fine.

    So, I think you're basic calculation is incorrect. Taking a percentage of the equity is not the way to approach it. Figure out what works for your buyer, then come in below that. Keep the difference.

    As others have suggested, I wouldn't treat this like a partnership. You're a wholesaler. He's a rehabber. You do business together. Both of you may well do business with other people. In fact, you'll do better if you get a list of buyers, not just one.

    Jon

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.