Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Foreclosures
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Steve Wilson
Votes |
Tax Sale/Foreclosure Occupants Best Practices

Steve Wilson
Posted

Hi Everyone,

I've been buying at PA tax sales for a couple years, Upset (liens included) and Judicial (liens divested), and understand the research needed ahead of time to protect myself from a bad deal. I have not purchased any occupied properties because the risks involved seem too high. I haven't participated in foreclosure sales but my understanding is that the same issues with occupants apply. What are peoples best practices to manage the risks involved with occupants?  Most advice I've heard is just to approach them after the sale, which in my mind is too late.  

Do you research them ahead of time on Facebook or other social media?

Do you search criminal records for them?

Do you go knock on the door pre-sale while driving around doing your property inspections? Talk to neighbors during property inspections?

If you do research ahead of time, what are some red flags that would cause you to back out of a deal or add a couple thousand to the deal cost for legal battles/ cash for keys?

If the occupant is the owner-

What is the going rate for cash for keys? Let's say it's a suburban home in a decent to nice neighborhood, ARV $200-$500k.

Do you make signing a quit claim deed a part of your cash for keys agreement?

In general it sounds like "help me help you" is the best approach, what else has worked for people as far as things to offer? Moving van, etc.

If the occupant is a tenant-

You are not allowed to start charging rent until you have the deed correct? What do you do in the time between the sale and when you get the deed?

Thanks!