Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Foreclosures
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes

Sheriff Sales & Title Search

Michelle Buckley
Posted

Hello, I’m looking to buy a property at auction but need help with title searches on the properties that I’m interested in bidding on. Does anyone have an attorney/ title company they can recommend that works with investors in this capacity? Any other advice for a first time sheriff sale/ auction buyer? Any courses on this subject matter?

User Stats

Votes
Tim Baldwin
Legal Services
  • Attorney
  • Pensacola, FL
Votes |
Legal Services
  • Attorney
  • Pensacola, FL
Replied

Michelle, I know some attorneys in Pensacola who can help, but I'm not sure if you want one local to Tampa. Let me know.

User Stats

Votes
Michelle Buckley
Replied

Hi Tim, Pensacola works so long as they can help! Can you send me contact info?

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Jay Hinrichs
Professional Services
Pro Member
#2 All Forums Contributor
  • Lender
  • Lake Oswego OR Summerlin, NV
Votes |
Professional Services
Pro Member
  • Lender
Replied

As a life long courthouse steps buyer.. reality is U need to learn how to do your own basic search.

the reason is only about 1 out of 20 or less props that go into foreclosure actually go to auction and are sold. U will go broke paying for title search's.. 

User Stats

Votes
Michelle Buckley
Replied

My instincts were leading me this direction. Thanks for validating! Is there a course that teaches how to conduct the basic research on these properties? Appreciate the comment!

User Stats

Votes
Jay Hinrichs
Professional Services
Pro Member
  • Lender
Votes |
Professional Services
Pro Member
  • Lender
Replied
Quote from @Michelle Buckley:

My instincts were leading me this direction. Thanks for validating! Is there a course that teaches how to conduct the basic research on these properties? Appreciate the comment!

not sure about a course as each state/county can be unique.. U might want to go to some meetups and see if anyone is an active buyer and pick their brain.

For instance in Vegas its pretty cool and easy but it creates uber competition. The title company that is located in the building were the foreclosures are held ( they are actually held in the parking lot of said building.) But they will give you a run down for free of everything going to sale that day.
In Oregon my title company would give me update spread sheet of all NOD's going ( but keep in mind I was the largest buyer or one of them in the market at the time.  As an individual looking for one off you will find it hard to find a title company that is going to do any serious work for free.
Also there are a lot of time pay services that do put all this together for you..  Property Radar is one I dont know if they are in FLA.. but many times there will also be some local who is doing it then selling you a subscription..