Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Foreclosures
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Peter Matus
Votes |
Foreclosure auction ...

Peter Matus
Posted

Hi there,

I have maybe stupid question about foreclosure auction of property...I searched all possible documents and info and this SFH with all debt (1 and 2nd mortgage,HOA,attorney and legal fees and interest is around 500K...How much of these potentional winner of auction will be responsible to pay for..if in the same area you can get fairly new house for 350K?

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied

It's an auction. You pay what you bid. If they owe $500,000 to lenders but the home sells for $125,000 at auction, then you pay $125,000.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Peter Matus
Votes |
Replied

thank you

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Replied

There are many variables on a Foreclosure, 

When you buy the house at court you are also buying all the attache liens to the house. 

If you are new to investing look for local groups, local investors that are already doing it.  Many will charge for the services they perform but will be worth it. 

A mistake when you pay full cash at the court ... could be expensive. 

User Stats

Votes
Peter Matus
Votes |
Replied
Quote from @Luis Maqueira:

When you buy the house at court you are also buying all the attache liens to the house. 

If you are new to investing look for local groups, local investors that are already doing it.  Many will charge for the services they perform but will be worth it. 

thank you...same goes with online auction?

User Stats

Votes
Chad U.
  • Investor
  • Boca Raton, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Boca Raton, FL
Replied
Quote from @Peter Matus:

No you don't 'buy all the attached liens to the house".  It depends on who is foreclosing.  Don't post false info if you aren't familiar with the process. 

User Stats

Votes
Peter Matus
Votes |
Replied
Quote from @Chad U.:
Quote from @Peter Matus:

No you don't 'buy all the attached liens to the house".  It depends on who is foreclosing.  Don't post false info if you aren't familiar with the process. 

Hello , can you be more specific with "depends who is closing" sentence? Thank you

User Stats

Votes
Chad U.
  • Investor
  • Boca Raton, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Boca Raton, FL
Replied
Quote from @Peter Matus:
Quote from @Chad U.:
Quote from @Peter Matus:

Hello , can you be more specific with "depends who is closing" sentence? Thank you

If it's the 1st mortgage foreclosing then generally any inferior liens and mortgages are wiped, save for HOA in Florida.  Involuntary liens generally remain as well.  

User Stats

Votes
Peter Matus
Votes |
Replied
Quote from @Chad U.:
Quote from @Peter Matus:
Quote from @Chad U.:
Quote from @Peter Matus:

If it's the 1st mortgage foreclosing then generally any inferior liens and mortgages are wiped, save for HOA in Florida.  Involuntary liens generally remain as well.  
thank you..!

User Stats

Votes
Marty Boardman
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Investor and Instructor
  • Gilbert, AZ
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Investor and Instructor
  • Gilbert, AZ
Replied

As Chad mentioned it depends on which lien holder is foreclosing. If it's the first lien holder then all subordinate lien holders get wiped out at the sale. There are exceptions, however. If there's any kind of local, state or Federal tax lien on the property then there could be redemption periods that could jam you up. In some states if ALL creditors are not named in the Lis Pendens then they could cause problems for you as well after the sale. To minimize your risk get a title report on the property to make sure the foreclosing lender is in first lien position and there are no skeletons in the closet that could come back to haunt you.

User Stats

Votes
Replied

From my understanding, most states foreclosure sale is subject to any and all superior liens and wipes out any all junior liens. Tax liens from the IRS or State and Local government always take the high priority position. The first mortgage is higher than the second, and HOA liens are usually lower than mortgages.

Here are some other things I have learned that may help you regarding Foreclosure sales. 

1) Since Tax liens are superior to all other liens, assessments, charges, etc., tax foreclosures generally wipes out all liens on the property. 

2) The Notice of Foreclosure Sale is required to be publicly posted and published. In Judicial foreclosures (mortgage), it will state something along the lines of "Under and by virtue of the power of sale contained in a certain Deed of Trust." It it is a lien foreclosure it will not state that.

3) Not sure if this applies to your county, but in mine this is a BIG ONE: If the Notice of Foreclosure Sale states "This sale is made subject to all prior liens, unpaid taxes, any unpaid land transfer taxes, special assessments, easements, rights of way, deeds of release, and any other encumbrances or exceptions of record". (emphasis added). Any other encumbrances or exceptions of record means ANY other liens - including junior liens. You want it to state "Prior" instead of "Any"

User Stats

Votes
Peter Matus
Votes |
Replied
Quote from @Marty Boardman:

As Chad mentioned it depends on which lien holder is foreclosing. If it's the first lien holder then all subordinate lien holders get wiped out at the sale. There are exceptions, however. If there's any kind of local, state or Federal tax lien on the property then there could be redemption periods that could jam you up. In some states if ALL creditors are not named in the Lis Pendens then they could cause problems for you as well after the sale. To minimize your risk get a title report on the property to make sure the foreclosing lender is in first lien position and there are no skeletons in the closet that could come back to haunt you.

thank you for your input

User Stats

Votes
Peter Matus
Votes |
Replied
Quote from @Jennifer M.:

From my understanding, most states foreclosure sale is subject to any and all superior liens and wipes out any all junior liens. Tax liens from the IRS or State and Local government always take the high priority position. The first mortgage is higher than the second, and HOA liens are usually lower than mortgages.

Here are some other things I have learned that may help you regarding Foreclosure sales. 

1) Since Tax liens are superior to all other liens, assessments, charges, etc., tax foreclosures generally wipes out all liens on the property. 

2) The Notice of Foreclosure Sale is required to be publicly posted and published. In Judicial foreclosures (mortgage), it will state something along the lines of "Under and by virtue of the power of sale contained in a certain Deed of Trust." It it is a lien foreclosure it will not state that.

3) Not sure if this applies to your county, but in mine this is a BIG ONE: If the Notice of Foreclosure Sale states "This sale is made subject to all prior liens, unpaid taxes, any unpaid land transfer taxes, special assessments, easements, rights of way, deeds of release, and any other encumbrances or exceptions of record". (emphasis added). Any other encumbrances or exceptions of record means ANY other liens - including junior liens. You want it to state "Prior" instead of "Any"

BiggerPockets logo
PassivePockets is here!
|
BiggerPockets
Find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Replied

My interest is piqued by foreclosures in NYC so if anyone is familiar...

First, if it's a unit in a co-op, what happens to the whole board approval thing? And how would my status as an investor vs buying as a home-owner affect the board approval process thing if I were to win a unit at auction?

Second, if it says in the foreclosure announcement that there's an $X00,000 lien amount and specifically says it's a "mortgage foreclosure", then could there also be a co-op common charge default and would I be responsible for that? And If I don't see any tax warrants on the property in ACRIS, can I assume there aren't any tax liens on the property? 

Lastly, is there a definitive source where I can find any/all liens on a property so I can be prepared? Or do I just spend the $300 and do a title search before bidding?

Thanks so much to those "in the know"!