I am new to tax deed sales and was wondering; how do you physically get the keys or access to the property once you win the auction, pay all payments to the county, and receive the tax deed in the mail? Do you generally have to get a locksmith to make you keys to the house? then place the keys in a combination lockbox on the door like a realtor would do? I do have friends or family in the areas I am looking to purchase in, as I am planning on doing this from out of state. Any knowledge or advice on this subject is greatly appreciated.
Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
4y
@Sam Zawatsky Generally you are never going to get keys in a tax sale.
You have to change locks yourself (or a locksmith). You need to make sure you have the right to take possession. In many states a Previous occupant must be evicted by the legal process.
This is why knowing the specific laws in the state or county you are buying in is so important. In Maryland even a boarded up property you need to post a notice for 15 days to protect yourself from some wacko coming back and saying you stole grandmas diamond ring.
Real Estate Broker · Coppell, TX · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
4y
If it is vacant, you probably are not going to get keys from anyone.
Either you replace it, or you get a locksmith to do it.
Maybe if it is occupied and you are nice to the people living there you might get keys from them when they move out or even if you keep them.
You say friends and family, and to me that means you are not buying locally. One thing I suggest with tax sales is that you personally look at any property you buy BEFORE you bid. The internet is not your friend for these situations. Internet research might eliminate properties based on what you see online, google street view and the like, but you should not depend on them to determine what to buy.
WAY too many times I see nice houses on the tax roll, or if we're lucky in the pictures from the law firm, and google street view looks good, and then I drive to the property only to find the house gone and fresh dirt replacing it....or the front is like a façade in a movie set and there is no back of the house, like it was destroyed in a tornado. Or the google street view picture is 10 years old.
Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
4y
@Sam Zawatsky Generally you are never going to get keys in a tax sale.
You have to change locks yourself (or a locksmith). You need to make sure you have the right to take possession. In many states a Previous occupant must be evicted by the legal process.
This is why knowing the specific laws in the state or county you are buying in is so important. In Maryland even a boarded up property you need to post a notice for 15 days to protect yourself from some wacko coming back and saying you stole grandmas diamond ring.
@Ned Carey So I should just research eviction laws in the state and county I am looking in?
I would say yes. However they’re may be specific laws that apply to tax sales and taking possession.
You can look up laws through Lexis Nexus. Or just google you state laws. It can be pretty though to navigate through the laws, but it can be very valuable once you learn to.