Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Commercial Real Estate Investing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Prithvi Sri
Votes |
Why do I need a commercial real estate agent?

Prithvi Sri
Posted Nov 25 2020, 10:40

I am a real estate broker in CA and have been investing in residential RE for over two decades. Bought and sold a couple of dozen properties over the years using my own real estate license. Now I am planning to buy a commercial real estate (of approx value 2 million). It is a single tenant, absolute net, lease contract of a standalone building. The tenant is a retail establishment owned by a very large profitable listed company.  The tenant is at the property for 20 years, and three months ago signed an extension for 5 more years. In all likelihood, tenant may extend it beyond 5 years too. 

My question is, do I need a real estate agent? The commission seems to be over 60K so it is not exactly chump change. Since I found the property myself and have reviewed all the financial statements of the tenant store as well as the parent company to be satisfactory, what exactly would be the benefit that I get from the broker instead of my self representation? I did all the paperwork for my residential purchases in the past and kept the commission for myself. What are the risks that I will be exposed to, if I were to do the same for the commercial property too? If there are any risks, is there a way I can mitigate the risks (say by hiring a real estate attorney or an agent who will work for an hourly / flat fee? I want to be frugal and save money on commissions, but I also don't want to be stupid and expose myself to a risk that a broker/attorney can help save me from when I am risking 2M). 

Any commercial real estate investor who tried going solo and lived to tell the story? Any inputs are greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Prithvi.

Loading replies...