Fair Equity/Profit Splitting in Syndications

Fair Equity/Profit Splitting in Syndications

Providence · Member since 2019 · 22 posts · 2 votes

Hello! Hoping to get a little clarity on this issue. Obviously have not done this before and want to be really clear on deal structure before I start so I don't unintentionally screw investors or myself. 

Suppose I syndicate a deal with the following terms: The GPS gets 20% equity+capital they contribute. Investors get 8% annual preferred CoC, then 70/30 profit split up to 12% CoC to investors, then 50/50 thereafter. I expect the building to be cashflow positive each year (not a new development or big value-add project that would take a year or two to cashflow and returns only show up when the building sells).

1. What happens when I sell the building--do I count the money investors have already been paid when considering how to split profits on the sale? Obviously I ensure they get their capital back first and foremost. 

2. What is the point of taking that 20% equity if I have already predefined the profit-split? Is the point that I am double dipping, i.e. that the GP participates as an LP with 20% equity then also gets the bonus waterfall splits? Or do I have that wrong?

Really appreciate any input you all have

0Reply
26 views

Most Popular Reply

Developer · Charlottesville, VA · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
6y
Originally posted by @Jacob Cytrynbaum:

Hello! Hoping to get a little clarity on this issue. Obviously have not done this before and want to be really clear on deal structure before I start so I don't unintentionally screw investors or myself. 

Suppose I syndicate a deal with the following terms: The GPS gets 20% equity+capital they contribute. Investors get 8% annual preferred CoC, then 70/30 profit split up to 12% CoC to investors, then 50/50 thereafter. I expect the building to be cashflow positive each year (not a new development or big value-add project that would take a year or two to cashflow and returns only show up when the building sells).

1. What happens when I sell the building--do I count the money investors have already been paid when considering how to split profits on the sale? Obviously I ensure they get their capital back first and foremost. 

2. What is the point of taking that 20% equity if I have already predefined the profit-split? Is the point that I am double dipping, i.e. that the GP participates as an LP with 20% equity then also gets the bonus waterfall splits? Or do I have that wrong?

Really appreciate any input you all have

The GP would not receive any equity unless they invest in the deal themselves. Upon sale the preferred return is paid first, initial capital from investors is returned second then remaining profits are split accordingly.

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Developer · Charlottesville, VA · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Jacob Cytrynbaum:

    Hello! Hoping to get a little clarity on this issue. Obviously have not done this before and want to be really clear on deal structure before I start so I don't unintentionally screw investors or myself. 

    Suppose I syndicate a deal with the following terms: The GPS gets 20% equity+capital they contribute. Investors get 8% annual preferred CoC, then 70/30 profit split up to 12% CoC to investors, then 50/50 thereafter. I expect the building to be cashflow positive each year (not a new development or big value-add project that would take a year or two to cashflow and returns only show up when the building sells).

    1. What happens when I sell the building--do I count the money investors have already been paid when considering how to split profits on the sale? Obviously I ensure they get their capital back first and foremost. 

    2. What is the point of taking that 20% equity if I have already predefined the profit-split? Is the point that I am double dipping, i.e. that the GP participates as an LP with 20% equity then also gets the bonus waterfall splits? Or do I have that wrong?

    Really appreciate any input you all have

    The GP would not receive any equity unless they invest in the deal themselves. Upon sale the preferred return is paid first, initial capital from investors is returned second then remaining profits are split accordingly.

  • Providence · Member since 2019 · 22 posts · 2 votes
    6y

    Thank you for the clarification, @Greg Dickerson. With that in mind, I was able to go back and better understand other forum discussions.

    On Sale, why is it important to pay out the preferred return before returning capital? Is the idea there that I pay out the return, then if there isn't enough left to pay back capital I had better be taking that out of my pocket?

  • Developer · Charlottesville, VA · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Jacob Cytrynbaum:

    Thank you for the clarification, @Greg Dickerson. With that in mind, I was able to go back and better understand other forum discussions.

    On Sale, why is it important to pay out the preferred return before returning capital? Is the idea there that I pay out the return, then if there isn't enough left to pay back capital I had better be taking that out of my pocket?

    You would not sell the property if you do not have enough money to pay back capital contributions and preferred returns. If you are forced to sell for some reason then you pay pref first capital after that if there’s not enough money to pay pref then only capital gets returned and yes you would have to make up the difference if you did not have enough to return initial capital investments.

    Of course the preferred return structure and payback schedule is all based on how you describe that in your operating agreement.

  • Providence · Member since 2019 · 22 posts · 2 votes
    6y

    Thank you again, @Greg Dickerson. You are certainly right, I wouldn't take a loss on sale if I didn't really need to. I really appreciate you taking the time to bring up newer players like myself.

  • Ronald RohdePro Member
    Attorney · Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Jacob Cytrynbaum:

    Thank you for the clarification, @Greg Dickerson. With that in mind, I was able to go back and better understand other forum discussions.

    On Sale, why is it important to pay out the preferred return before returning capital? Is the idea there that I pay out the return, then if there isn't enough left to pay back capital I had better be taking that out of my pocket?

    That is the common legal definition, all depends on your language and model waterfall.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.