Help updating rental rate on a special use commercial building

Help updating rental rate on a special use commercial building

Raleigh, NC · Member since 2019 · 78 posts · 40 votes

I need help updating the rental rate on three commercial properties that I own. The buildings are special use and unique and there is a lot of history with them so let me explain. Then I'll share my numbers. 

I sold my company in 2015 and leased three of the six properties to the buyer. The buyer has a 5 year lease, with two 5 year extensions. We are now approaching the first option period. 

Prior to my sale, these were buildings rented from me by my company. A typical owner lease back. Because the money was moving from one pocket to another, the lease amounts were never really updated or shopped to compare to the open market. Basically as long as the banks and the overreaching (read obnoxious) manufacturer we represented were satisfied then we kept the rent at what we thought was reasonable. 

When I sold to my buyer, we took the existing rental rates and carried them forward with the buyer. The buildings were somewhat run down, and the sale was MUCH more important than the rent. They said they were pleased with the rental rates and thought they were very fair, certainly a better deal than building new buildings. The buyer has a triple net lease on these buildings. The only hiccup is I have to carry some insurance for acts of God but other than that they maintain everything and they just cash flow. 

Since the buyer has been there, they have upfit the buildings and they frankly look better than they ever did. They have repaved parking lots, painted exterior and interior, completely redone and updated the show room and offices, and now they are stabilizing the soil around the building, effectively turning it into concrete. The rent shows up on the 1st every month without fail and they have been a better tenant than I was to myself. 

Lastly, one of the reasons I sold was the overbearing manufacturer is pressuring all my former peers, including my now tenant, to build new buildings. They've figured out that they can improve the brand by spending other peoples money. So far my three properties are not in the cross hairs, but the other three properties we had are. One has a replacement building being built now. One will be starting probably next year, and the last wasn't worth replacing. This is more than just talk and threats from a manufacturer. 

The buyer likes my buildings, but the land is a bit lacking at 3 acres. They'd rather have 6 acres or so. Other than that, they are happy. 

So, here are my numbers. This is just one of the buildings but the premise carries across all three, except maybe the land here has appreciated a bit more. 

3.0 acres

Building 15,020 square feet

Building is a heavy industrial facility, built in 1972, with an addition in 1999. Facility is special use with heavy overhead cranes, loading ramps, wash pits, etc. It would be useful for its current use, or it could be rented to a heavy highway construction company or a competing brand equipment dealer. Other than that, there are not a lot of people who would want this building. It is a limited market potential. 

The building was appraised in 2001. This was back when you could talk to the appraiser and we got tippity top dollar in our appraisal. 

2001 Appraisal

Land = $165,000

Building - $785,000

Total $900,000

The tax records I can pull have the following numbers.

2006 Land & Building = $258,130 (We certainly didn't complain about the assessed value)

2009 Land & Building = $472,080 (We did complain, they didn't care)

2015 Land & Building = $458,732 (The year of the purchase of my business)

2018 Land & Building = $515,109

The rent for this property through all this time, back to 2001, has been $10,743.68 per month, triple net, or $128,924.16 per year. 

The direct land around this property has developed pretty heavily during this time frame. There is still open land but all the farm land is gone, replaced by condos for college kids. Our side of the street is still industrial though, and our neighbor, the gas company, has had ongoing environmental issues for decades. They may be finally resolved but I don't see our side of the street turning into condos anytime soon. My strong preference is to keep my current renter in place. 

My question, how do I go about setting the rental rate for this property at renewal in December. Similar properties don't have market rents. These are usually related party transactions, something I know from going through the appraisal process several times. The appraisers can never find anything to compare that is actually comparable. So my thought is to use the tax basis property value trend as a basis for the updated rent. With that logic, the land/building value has gone up 10% since the purchase in 2015. So I'd recommend that they increase the rent 10% to $11,818.05. They will of course counter an increase with reminding me of all the money they've spent on the building, and I'll counter that the rental rate was set in the early 2000s and they are still getting a deal. 

I'd really love some advice on where I'm going here and how to have a better basis for setting a rental rate. Right now, this is the best I have. The owner is a Harvard lawyer and has access to WAY more information than I do now as I'm basically on the outside. However they've been fair to me in every transaction so I think we can work our way through it if I just have good basis for my demands. 

Thoughts?

1Reply
14 views

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Ronald RohdePro Member
    Attorney · Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Dan Moore:

    I...Right now, this is the best I have. The owner is a Harvard lawyer and has access to WAY more information than I do now as I'm basically on the outside. However they've been fair to me in every transaction so I think we can work our way through it if I just have good basis for my demands. 

    Thoughts?

     Harvard lawyer means nothing to me, I've gone against plenty of them, but each case comes down to facts and the law.

    That said, you need a local commercial broker, not the broad experience and opinions of the internet. A rough estimate will be to estimate your equity tied up and rent is a reasonable return on that equity. $1m tied up, $128k a year is fair...

  • Raleigh, NC · Member since 2019 · 78 posts · 40 votes
    7y

    @Ronald Rohde

    Thank you for your feedback. I agree, the law is what matters. My point was my opposing side runs a now (with my old company as part of the numbers) a billion dollar company and he has all the current info whereas I have limited access to data.

    I do have access to a commercial broker. He’s family and a friend. The problem is our properties are a bit too unique so they really don’t compare and he really doesn’t have good insight into my particular situation. Hence the roundabout way I’m getting where I’m going.

    Again thank you for the insights.

  • Member since 2019 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    location is going to matter here. Can you give a city or state?

  • Raleigh, NC · Member since 2019 · 78 posts · 40 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @James Bryan:

    location is going to matter here. Can you give a city or state?

     For this particular example, Greenville NC. The other properties are also in NC. 

  • Ronald RohdePro Member
    Attorney · Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Dan Moore:

    @Ronald Rohde

    Thank you for your feedback. I agree, the law is what matters. My point was my opposing side runs a now (with my old company as part of the numbers) a billion dollar company and he has all the current info whereas I have limited access to data.

    I do have access to a commercial broker. He’s family and a friend. The problem is our properties are a bit too unique so they really don’t compare and he really doesn’t have good insight into my particular situation. Hence the roundabout way I’m getting where I’m going.

    Again thank you for the insights.

     My method doesn't require any data other than your own.

    How much equity is tied up? What is a reasonable return for that investment? 5%? 10%? 25%? You pick the two variables and calculate return needed.

  • Raleigh, NC · Member since 2019 · 78 posts · 40 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Ronald Rohde:
    Originally posted by @Dan Moore:

    @Ronald Rohde

    Thank you for your feedback. I agree, the law is what matters. My point was my opposing side runs a now (with my old company as part of the numbers) a billion dollar company and he has all the current info whereas I have limited access to data.

    I do have access to a commercial broker. He’s family and a friend. The problem is our properties are a bit too unique so they really don’t compare and he really doesn’t have good insight into my particular situation. Hence the roundabout way I’m getting where I’m going.

    Again thank you for the insights.

     My method doesn't require any data other than your own.

    How much equity is tied up? What is a reasonable return for that investment? 5%? 10%? 25%? You pick the two variables and calculate return needed.

    Thank you. I've been dinking around trying to market price the properties. Hadn't even occurred to me to go with an investment return analysis instead. Couldn't see the forrest for the trees.
     

    That helps put things in perspective, and supports the market pricing I was already calculating. 

  • Investor · Avilla, IN · Member since 2013 · 796 posts · 769 votes
    7y

    @Dan Moore

    This isn’t an area that I have expertise in but I tend to agree that a roughly 12% ROE is pretty solid here. So I’d be ok extending at the current rate.

    You definitely have some risk since it’s such a unique building that would only appeal to a small subset of tenants. That, combined with the fact that they’re taking great care of it would help justify the flat rate.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.