1 owner has majority of commercial condo units, do I run?

1 owner has majority of commercial condo units, do I run?

Investor · Mendham, NJ · Member since 2017 · 5 posts · 0 votes

Hi all - 

I have an opportunity to purchase one unit of an eight unit commercial condominium. I think it's a great deal. 

The bad news is that one person owns 5 of the 8 units, giving him majority votes. The building looks to be in good shape, but a dozen Belgian blocks have separated from the sidewalk, parking lot needs to be striped, there is zero landscaping, etc. All this makes me think that things don't get fixed because the owner has to foot 62.5% of every assessment. 

Is this worth pursuing by speaking to the majority owner, commercial attorney, or should I just run the other way?

Thanks for helping a newbie purchase his first commercial property.

- Michael

0Reply
25 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
9y

Wonder why this owner wouldn't want to buy that unit?

I think you should take a pass on this.

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    Wonder why this owner wouldn't want to buy that unit?

    I think you should take a pass on this.

  • Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2015 · 58 posts · 23 votes
    9y

    it may be worth having a conversation with the majority owner. Maybe he didn't see the unit for sale. Maybe he's looking to sell his 5, giving you 6 of the 8 units. Whichever way it goes, there's a low risk to you. 

  • Investor · Mendham, NJ · Member since 2017 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    I'd have to assume he knows the unit is for sale. The unit is set up as a dentist's office, so he might not be interested in owning it and leasing it, since he is a dermatologist.

  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    9y

    The majority will call all the shots , you will have no say or control .  

  • Ronald RohdePro Member
    Attorney · Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    Check the condo docs, there are often prohibitions or restrictions on majority less than all ownership. His power may not be as much as you think. Do you want to improve all those things?

  • Attorney · NJ · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 794 votes
    9y

    The majority may not always call the shots. Have an attorney take a look at the bylaws and master deed. Good chance he has no choice but to make certain repairs. Also, if there are a number of board members that can be elected, he can't fill all of the seats, so you would be on the board and privy to and able to make certain decisions that he would be bound to follow. As far as him not buying the final unit, there could be plenty of reasons. That wouldn't in itself scare me away.

  • Investor · Mendham, NJ · Member since 2017 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    Here is the section from the by-laws regarding votes:

    It doesn't say anything about majority. I think I should then get a copy of the master deed. Thank you for your help thus far everyone! 

  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    9y

    I do not like investments where I do not maintain control. I typically pass on those. Too many other investing opportunities where that condition does not exist. 

  • Investor · Mendham, NJ · Member since 2017 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    So after many back-and-forth emails with my realtor, I received the following from the majority owner of the condos:

    We are on an accrual basis for accounting and do not carry long term reserves. We collect the small amount of fees each month and pay the common expenses and then carry forward the balance for the winter months and any ordinary repairs.

    We did not have regular meetings as the association only handled the regular expenses and with only three of us on very busy and different schedules any issues were handled over the phone or via email. Things are very simple, and likely will be underwhelming for your buyer given his participation in a larger association.

    There is not a formal history of repairs, as our repairs have generally been small issues (parking lot light replaced, etc). We finally replaced the courtyard sign last year, and a few years ago replaced the stones in the courtyard and in front of the building. All of these were paid for out of the accumulated monthly fee with no assessment.

    We file a registration with the state each year and we file a tax return each year. I can forward the tax return if he feels that would be helpful.

    I will be happy to speak with him on Friday, but I have meetings most of the day so it won’t be until late in the day.

    Part of me says, "how bad can it be", while the other half says, get away, far, far away.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.