Slightly off-topic loan to a commercial endeavor opportunity

Slightly off-topic loan to a commercial endeavor opportunity

Brian GarrettPro Member
Westminster, CO · Member since 2016 · 68 posts · 22 votes

I realize this may be slightly off-topic, so if it's too far off let me know.

Here's the scenario. I have a friend through one of the recreational activities that we both participate in with an adult son who owns an electrical contracting business in Wyoming.  At a very high level I checked the business out and they do look legit.  Their business has a contract with Sam's Club to do a fairly substantial amount of work and their business is looking for a loan up to $100k so they can complete the contract.  We currently have the cash available as we've been searching for our next deal, so it is available.

Their initial offer of return was for 5%, so I moved on as I didn't want to tie up that much capital for 12 months (the duration of the loan) for only 5%.  I have since explained to them that we do far better with property investing.  They have now offered a 10% return over 12 months for the $100k.  I'd like to get at least 12% - but I don't know if I'm being greedy or just realistic.

Knowing the character of the dad I don't sense a great deal of risk (and yes, anyone and any deal will present risk), and given the contract is with a large retail establishment I don't have any indication that it would be a bad deal.  My relationship with the father is a casual friendship. We don't hang out or anything like that, but he does participate in our community of interests.

Ultimately - has anyone done any deals like this, and if you did, how did you structure it?  

Any other thoughts are welcome and thanks for your input.

0Reply
10 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    9y

    I can't give legal advice. You need a business attorney for this to be protected.

    You might want to give the money in monthly DRAWS instead of all at once. This way if things go south your losses are more limited. If it is real then you keep releasing funds on a monthly basis.

    If they do business with Sam's club they should be able to get standard financing. The fact that they said 5 percent and now have agreed right away to 10 percent should give some pause.

    For my business I get stuff weekly wanting me to take their money at low rates. If this business is well established  then you have to ask why they are not going that direction?

  • Brian GarrettPro Member
    OP
    Westminster, CO · Member since 2016 · 68 posts · 22 votes
    9y

    Thanks - all good points and I really appreciate your input on this Joel.  It's super-helpful.

    Brian

  • Rental Property Investor · Charlottesville, VA · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 726 votes
    9y

    @Bryan garrett. 10% seems like a pretty decent rate for a private loan but keep in mind it's totally unsecured. Does the business own any real estate or equipment they can put up as collateral? Do you know what their financial position is like? I would ask for financial statements.  Otherwise you might be loaning 100k to a business on the verge of bankruptcy.

  • Brian GarrettPro Member
    OP
    Westminster, CO · Member since 2016 · 68 posts · 22 votes
    9y

    Thanks Jeff - I appreciate the additional insight.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.