Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Commercial Real Estate Investing

User Stats

Votes
Chris Mason
  • Lender
  • California
Votes |
$3m / 60% LTV Assisted Living Facility Refi - Financing Survey/Review

Chris Mason
  • Lender
  • California
ModeratorPosted Jul 11 2024, 16:49

Scenario: This scenario is an amalgamation of a few inquiries that I've had in the last couple months. Person purchased a neglected facility using hard money. Took a few years to get licensing, permits, etc, to either restore it to being an assisted living facility, or convert it into one. Now it's stable, and time to take out the hard money with long term institutional debt. They purchased it for $3m, put $750k into it, we expect it to appraise for $5m, and are seeking loan proceeds of $3m.

Here are three commercial mortgages that might be a good fit (click to enlarge, if necessary):

Not listed there, but from left to right: 

Points are 1.25, 1.5, and 1.

Prepayment penalties are 5 years, no, and no.

The way to read "3/25, 15 years maturity" is that the rate is fixed for 3 years then adjusts, it has a 25 year amortization, and a balloon payment at the 15 year mark. 

Commentary/review on which might be a good fit for which use case or goal-set.

The Bank Option: Best rate hands down, and longest amortization. Someone might want to fire-and-forget this refi and not touch it, so they might not care about the 5 year prepayment penalty. On the other hand, this lender is also very picky, for example they require 100% liquidity of the borrower, meaning someone would need $3m liquid to get this $3m refi (& you don't get to count loan proceeds towards that liquidity). If the ownership of this assisted living facility didn't care about the prepayment penalty, and the bank didn't "swipe left" on the property based on things like experience level of the ownership and/or management team, this might be a clear winner. 

Credit Union #1: This has the longest maturity, so there's an element of "fire and forget" here too. No prepayment penalty is nice. The shorter amortization bumps the payment up $2k/mo, but at the profit levels of these types of facilities, that's a drop in the bucket. If the bank swiped left on the deal, or if the ownership thought rates would be dropping soon, this is a really good option too. If rates did drop, that 3 year fixed period means their rate would automatically drop with it, so they wouldn't have to refinance if they didn't want to, but if they did want to (cash out refi made possible by a recession forcing more elderly people into assisted living facilities, thus driving up rents, and the value of assisted living facilities? Doesn't sound like too crazy a scenario to me...), there wouldn't be any penalty. This is a Florida lender that requires that the property and borrowers be Florida residents. 

Credit Union #2: I think the only reason to really consider this one (I don't think the slightly lower points makes that much of a difference) is if the above two options both passed on the deal, a possible reason for that would be (ahem, guess why I am saying what I'm about to say...) an inexperienced management team trying to justify this refinance based on only 6 months of financials (rather than say a 1-2+ year track record of success, or experience with other facilities, etc). Oddly enough, the small print says California-based owners would get a slightly better rate, but it doesn't specify what. 

• Lender California (#1220177)

CommLoan Logo

Loading replies...