Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Commercial Real Estate Investing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Sumit Verma
Votes |
First Commercial Real Estate Investing - Gas Station

Sumit Verma
Posted Apr 20 2024, 09:55

I have many friends worked in convivences stores and gas stations by running the finances of the business I'm interested in purchasing a gas station. Hypothetically here is the situation. Let me know if it is possible or not, and in both cases what would be the requirements? 

Business cost - $1M
Net Assessed Value - $700k (land + building)

Looking for 900k, with 30 years of financing, no balloon payment.

This would be my first CRE, I would run and manage the business by myself.

Thank you for your time!

User Stats

Votes
Henry Clark
Pro Member
#1 Commercial Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Developer
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Developer
Replied Apr 20 2024, 15:29

Steps:

1.  Get with a local banker and have them walk you through the process of getting a loan from them.  This will get you up to speed on how the finances will work.

2.  Unless it is seller financing, you will have a hard time getting a loan of $900k on a $1mm deal.  Maybe 10% SBA loan.  Check on that.

3.  Figure out $900k loan and interest payments per month.  Then compare against the cash flow after taxes from the business.  Is there enough for you to live on?

4.  Due Diligence- Probably need to do a Phase 1/2/3 epa study or you will be taking on the cleanup risk.

5.  Do you know how to contract the petroleum and store products?  Do you need to front any money for that?

User Stats

Votes
Sumit Verma
Votes |
Replied Apr 21 2024, 09:50

Thank you Henry for your response. 

The business is not for sale yet, I just know owner would not deny the offer if I put it on the table but I want to be sure. It could me my life changing path.

2. I will check on 10% SBA. Just curios would that be possible to find someone on BiggerPockets?

3. How can I get the business cash flow, revenue, expenses without business being on market. I do not need much to live on, I want growth and I'd would put most back in the business if there is profit.

4. 1/2/3 epa study I will definitely look into it.

5. That cost I have already added in the $1M, if I needed more I will go as out of pocket expense.

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Henry Clark
Pro Member
  • Developer
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Developer
Replied Apr 21 2024, 12:29

You have to do the math or no one will loan to you.  And you shouldn’t invest without th numbers. 

User Stats

Votes
Kristi Kandel
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Fort Myers Beach, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Fort Myers Beach, FL
Replied Apr 22 2024, 07:27
Quote from @Sumit Verma:

I have many friends worked in convivences stores and gas stations by running the finances of the business I'm interested in purchasing a gas station. Hypothetically here is the situation. Let me know if it is possible or not, and in both cases what would be the requirements? 

Business cost - $1M

Thank you for your time!

What state are you buying in? I work with hundreds of gas station owners and operators each year. We are building Hydrogen Fueling stations in CA and we lease land from the gas station owners. 

Some are the operators of the business only, Some own the dirt only and ground lease to the operators, and some are both. Your systems and processes will make or break you. Most operators end up living at the store and working long days and weeks UNLESS they have multiple gas stations and can leverage that scale for operations. 

When it comes to environmental check to see if the property has a NFA (no further action) letter. That means that the prior leaks and soil/groundwater contamination have already been taken care of. 

Check to see where the owner is at on updating / replacing old UG tanks that need to be replaced with current standards. Those costs to both shut down the biz to upgrade/replace and the cost of doing the work are huge capital costs. 

Separately, lots of AHJs in CA are banning the building of new gas stations. CA is going to be extreme and the rest of the states are likely 10-15 years behind those initiatives. That being said, what is your long game and how would you handle gas being phase out and how would your business pivot? 

User Stats

Votes
Sumit Verma
Votes |
Replied Apr 22 2024, 07:45
Quote from @Kristi Kandel:
Quote from @Sumit Verma:

Business cost - $1M

Thank you for your time!

What state are you buying in? I work with hundreds of gas station owners and operators each year. We are building Hydrogen Fueling stations in CA and we lease land from the gas station owners. 

Some are the operators of the business only, Some own the dirt only and ground lease to the operators, and some are both. Your systems and processes will make or break you. Most operators end up living at the store and working long days and weeks UNLESS they have multiple gas stations and can leverage that scale for operations. 

When it comes to environmental check to see if the property has a NFA (no further action) letter. That means that the prior leaks and soil/groundwater contamination have already been taken care of. 

Check to see where the owner is at on updating / replacing old UG tanks that need to be replaced with current standards. Those costs to both shut down the biz to upgrade/replace and the cost of doing the work are huge capital costs. 

Separately, lots of AHJs in CA are banning the building of new gas stations. CA is going to be extreme and the rest of the states are likely 10-15 years behind those initiatives. That being said, what is your long game and how would you handle gas being phase out and how would your business pivot? 

Thank you for your response Kristi!

Currently I am only looking into midwest. You are right CA is way ahead comparing to other states. I will take a look into NFA for sure. Its not being too long since the tanks are being replaced.

I believe most gas stations profit comes from the inside sales. When you say long term game, I will keep the gas stations (it will take long to completely wipe out gas phase) with a potential to stream into multiple different source of income. But that's all subjective to how much capital I can build upon.

User Stats

Votes
Kristi Kandel
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Fort Myers Beach, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Fort Myers Beach, FL
Replied Apr 22 2024, 12:48
Quote from @Sumit Verma:
Quote from @Sumit Verma:

Business cost - $1M

Thank you for your time!

Currently I am only looking into midwest. You are right CA is way ahead comparing to other states. I will take a look into NFA for sure. Its not being too long since the tanks are being replaced.

I believe most gas stations profit comes from the inside sales. When you say long term game, I will keep the gas stations (it will take long to completely wipe out gas phase) with a potential to stream into multiple different source of income. But that's all subjective to how much capital I can build upon.

I would agree the Midwest will take the longest to change types of energy. Depending on the operator the inside sales can drastically beat out gas sales. I’ve seen many people get creative offering many projects like car washes, propane, u haul rentals, food, etc. It’s very hands on for most owners (high turnover employees  and employees stealing bc of cash sales) so as long as that’s something you’re willing to do it’s likely a great option for you. 

User Stats

Votes
Sumit Verma
Votes |
Replied Apr 22 2024, 13:07
Quote from @Sumit Verma:
Quote from @Sumit Verma:

Business cost - $1M

Thank you for your time!

I would agree the Midwest will take the longest to change types of energy. Depending on the operator the inside sales can drastically beat out gas sales. I’ve seen many people get creative offering many projects like car washes, propane, u haul rentals, food, etc. It’s very hands on for most owners (high turnover employees  and employees stealing bc of cash sales) so as long as that’s something you’re willing to do it’s likely a great option for you. 

I do have a great plan to move forward with, it's the execution of the initial plan that's taking me long but, it is giving me more time. I have 2 more friends with me, we recently graduated from university and after seen the current market for the jobs we have decided to move forward with this and we have plans to be low cost creative by our food, offers and social media.

Currently I have no plan for the employees as I will be running and managing the store by myself. With only exception being allowing my friends to work couple days.

I am visiting banks to get some more information for how much investment I can secure with my situation once that is done I will actively engage in find the right business to acquire. Should you know of any lender please let me know.

Thank you!

User Stats

Votes
Kristi Kandel
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Fort Myers Beach, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Fort Myers Beach, FL
Replied Apr 22 2024, 14:40
Quote from @Sumit Verma:
Quote from @Sumit Verma:
Quote from @Sumit Verma:

Business cost - $1M

Thank you for your time!

I do have a great plan to move forward with, it's the execution of the initial plan that's taking me long but, it is giving me more time. I have 2 more friends with me, we recently graduated from university and after seen the current market for the jobs we have decided to move forward with this and we have plans to be low cost creative by our food, offers and social media.

Currently I have no plan for the employees as I will be running and managing the store by myself. With only exception being allowing my friends to work couple days.

I am visiting banks to get some more information for how much investment I can secure with my situation once that is done I will actively engage in find the right business to acquire. Should you know of any lender please let me know.

Thank you!

That sounds like a great plan to get started out of school. Your lenders will be very helpful in helping you underwrite the deal and develop a biz plan. That will be key to operational success.

You might consider asking the owner to seller finance part of the deal and also stay on for a transition period to help show you the ropes. Even if you’re going to change up operations getting those lessons learned from the current operator will help you a lot. 

User Stats

Votes
Sumit Verma
Votes |
Replied Apr 22 2024, 15:26
Quote from @Sumit Verma:
Quote from @Sumit Verma:
Quote from @Sumit Verma:

Business cost - $1M

Thank you for your time!

Thank you!

That sounds like a great plan to get started out of school. Your lenders will be very helpful in helping you underwrite the deal and develop a biz plan. That will be key to operational success.

You might consider asking the owner to seller finance part of the deal and also stay on for a transition period to help show you the ropes. Even if you’re going to change up operations getting those lessons learned from the current operator will help you a lot. 

Thank you!

I am having hard time trusting the business that are already on the market for sell. Just because you never know the actual reason of the sell of the business. The business I am interested is not in the market and I strongly believe that if I make the owner an offer he would most likely accept it (based on the previous business he sold) 

My plan is to do enough research on the location that I am actually interested in. I have contacted and spoken to the operators already regarding the current business conditions. I would send an mail to the owner's address to invite him to make the deal.

Owner's finance probably won't be an option in this case. Is there any thing you would suggest about where to find lenders or any information I should know before talking to banks?

User Stats

Votes
Kristi Kandel
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Fort Myers Beach, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Fort Myers Beach, FL
Replied Apr 22 2024, 15:39
Quote from @Sumit Verma:
Quote from @Sumit Verma:
Quote from @Sumit Verma:
Quote from @Sumit Verma:

Business cost - $1M

Thank you for your time!

Thank you!

Thank you!

I am having hard time trusting the business that are already on the market for sell. Just because you never know the actual reason of the sell of the business. The business I am interested is not in the market and I strongly believe that if I make the owner an offer he would most likely accept it (based on the previous business he sold) 

My plan is to do enough research on the location that I am actually interested in. I have contacted and spoken to the operators already regarding the current business conditions. I would send an mail to the owner's address to invite him to make the deal.

Owner's finance probably won't be an option in this case. Is there any thing you would suggest about where to find lenders or any information I should know before talking to banks?

@Sumit Verma ASK all the questions. The lenders can be your best friend and shop it around to a lot of lenders. This is a more risky asset for many lenders and this being your first biz? Learn as much as you can and don’t discount this process as education for the future  even if you don’t close 

User Stats

Votes
Simmy Ahluwalia
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Apr 23 2024, 15:08

@Sumit Verma - we provide SBA loans for gas stations.  Happy to chat.