What to look for when buying raw land to possibly flip?

What to look for when buying raw land to possibly flip?

Rental Property Investor · Olympia, WA · Member since 2010 · 127 posts · 76 votes

Hey all,

An out-of-town individual has a 1.75 acre parcel near me listed on CL. He's an investor that bought the property at a tax foreclosure auction for very little money. After a couple years sitting on it and not listing it (who knows why...), he's looking to get rid of it at a price that would be low enough that another investor (me?) could buy and flip within a short time frame.

For easy, round numbers, we're taking a purchase price of $20k with a tax appraisal of $100k. Neighbor's 2 acre lot has been on the market for some time at $150k. I'm not really familiar with comparative market analysis as it pertains to raw land, but I would think this parcel is worth around $75k-110k based on what has sold in the area.

Given the bargain price and the fact that the seller hasn't put it on the market --why hasn't he if he could list it for retail price?--I want to do my research. We all know that motivated sellers exist, and he apparently bought the lot for a song, so it could be a very good buy. County records say wetlands, but says "0% unbuildable," and there is a home on the lot adjacent and two lots down. Water/sewer/power appear to be available, but is something I can research.

Any advice from an experienced land flipper? What should I look for/research in order to feel comfortable that the land is buildable and worth something close to tax evaluation price? Buyer doesn't want to put the property under contract and waste time with what could be lengthy inspections (another possible red flag?) and would like to quit-claim the property to save $$$.

Ready, go! :)

0Reply
22 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Hesperia, CA · Member since 2013 · 9 posts · 0 votes
    13y

    Interesting post, unfortunately I can't give you any advice but this is a topic I am very curious about. I live in the CA high desert and there is tons of land for sale but I have no idea what is or isn't a good deal.

    I would assume the quit claim and no inspections would be a red flag but if it is just raw land what exactly are you inspecting for? The only thing I know I would be weary of is that we have tons of Joshua trees around here and they are protected so you can't cut them down. That would definitely be a negative if you buy 1.75 acres then can't find a spot to build on.

  • Rental Property Investor · Olympia, WA · Member since 2010 · 127 posts · 76 votes
    13y

    Matt,

    The seller is trying to get rid of the land ASAP in order to feed other investment acquisitions, which he purports is the reason he'd like to sell without any contract inspections/contingencies. I said he'd prefer a quit-claim transaction, but he's willing to go through escrow if I feel it's necessary (it might be).

    We don't have any Joshua trees up here Matt, so I guess that's one thing I don't have to worry about :)

  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    13y

    Definitely no QCD, get a regular Warranty Deed, or whatever they call them there. Talk to the local building/development dept. about any buildability issues. Can't help you with desirability.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.