What would you do with $150-175K cash from refi?

What would you do with $150-175K cash from refi?

Member since 2020 · 25 posts · 8 votes

So I’m finally taking the equity out of a duplex I purchased back in 2015. I will have about 150-170K cash after doing a cash out refi. I was going to play it safe and stay local in my Tampa Bay market, which means the cash would be a down payment for a multi family property in my area since everything is so expensive (also rents aren’t amazing, 1% rule doesn’t apply in Tampa’s market).

I am now tempted to try an out of state market where I can use that cash to buy a multi-family property outright and then cash out refi to buy another multi-family. If I go this route and can only fly out once, when is the best time to go - to initially view properties, or to see the final property with the inspector?

Appreciate your thoughts!

Stephanie

1Reply
25 views

Most Popular Reply

Lender · Tampa, FL · Member since 2020 · 182 posts · 90 votes
5y

Hey Stephanie,

I'm not sure if you plan to force any appreciation on the property but keep in mind that if you purchase a home cash and do a cash out refinance you may be limited by the purchase price of the property on the cash out refinance. This is called delayed financing. For a conventional loan, the max loan amount is 80% of the purchase price. So if you do any repairs on the property, you likely will not get a loan amount that reflects the full ARV. You would have to wait 6 months to to get a loan based on the full ARV. There are programs that will lend around 70-75% of the purchase price + any documented repairs but it can be a bit of a gamble if the purchase price + documented repairs will come back at the ARV.

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Raymond J. RodriguesBusiness Member
    Lender · Miami, FL · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 797 votes
    5y

    @Stephanie Wells, a recent article released stated that rents were to increase almost 20% in the Tampa Bay Area this year! 

  • Lender · Tampa, FL · Member since 2020 · 182 posts · 90 votes
    5y

    Hey Stephanie,

    I'm not sure if you plan to force any appreciation on the property but keep in mind that if you purchase a home cash and do a cash out refinance you may be limited by the purchase price of the property on the cash out refinance. This is called delayed financing. For a conventional loan, the max loan amount is 80% of the purchase price. So if you do any repairs on the property, you likely will not get a loan amount that reflects the full ARV. You would have to wait 6 months to to get a loan based on the full ARV. There are programs that will lend around 70-75% of the purchase price + any documented repairs but it can be a bit of a gamble if the purchase price + documented repairs will come back at the ARV.

  • Member since 2020 · 25 posts · 8 votes
    5y

    @Raymond J. Rodrigues Definitely noticing that rent increase starting up, maybe by December rents will be closer to the 1% rule if home prices simmer down even more.

  • Member since 2020 · 25 posts · 8 votes
    5y

    @Jeff Shumway Hoping to not have to do too much to the property I find, especially if I go out of state. Don't think I'm mentally ready for a full on rehab yet! Thanks for the insights though.

  • Mike D'ArrigoPro Member
    Turn key provider · San Jose, CA · Member since 2010 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Stephanie Wells:

    So I’m finally taking the equity out of a duplex I purchased back in 2015. I will have about 150-170K cash after doing a cash out refi. I was going to play it safe and stay local in my Tampa Bay market, which means the cash would be a down payment for a multi family property in my area since everything is so expensive (also rents aren’t amazing, 1% rule doesn’t apply in Tampa’s market).

    I am now tempted to try an out of state market where I can use that cash to buy a multi-family property outright and then cash out refi to buy another multi-family. If I go this route and can only fly out once, when is the best time to go - to initially view properties, or to see the final property with the inspector?

    Appreciate your thoughts!

    Stephanie

    It wouldn't make sense to go see the property before it's renovated but not after. If you're only going to see it once, go when everything is complete and while the inspector is there. This will give you a chance to get an explanation of the items that they inspector notes on the report. 

  • Member since 2020 · 25 posts · 8 votes
    5y

    @Mike D'Arrigo…Super helpful thank you.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.