Investor · Arden, NC · Member since 2013 · 87 posts · 35 votes
After my most recent deal fell through, I've been looking around again. In the area I'm looking, there is a ton of houses made in the late 40's. These aren't historic architectural masterpieces, they're cheap crappy houses made to house soldiers after WWII. It appears that they were just thrown up quickly, and never really meant to last 60 years. Some of them are in good shape, but a lot of it is garbage. No ducting for HVAC, terra cotta plumbing under the house, odd electrical setups.
I'm thinking that I could probably pick up a dump of a house in a transitioning area and knock it down to build a new quadraplex. If I buy the current property for $10000, and build a new house for $100,000, I can still cashflow pretty well, renting each unit for ~$625. I'd also have the newest house on the block, which would further set my property apart . Is this realistic? Is a 4 unit, 3000 square foot quad build-able for $100,000? How about $150,000? How much does demolition cost?
Investor · Apple Valley, MN · Member since 2013 · 281 posts · 94 votes
13y
Not sure what happened in your area your talking about, but I own a story and a 1/2 that was built by the government after wwII and we've renuavated it beautifully. Where I live there are thousands of homes like ours and like are foreclosing at around 90k and selling for between 190k and 220k for a 1600 to 1800 square foot home here in Minneapolis.
Investor · Arden, NC · Member since 2013 · 87 posts · 35 votes
13y
I think you misunderstood. Its not former government housing, its housing that was built after WWII. After all the GI's came home, they started popping out children and getting factory jobs, so that opened up a huge market for low-cost real estate development. What was built was cheap, crappy housing to put a roof over their heads. 60 years later, they're all basically falling apart and I'm trying to weigh the cost of rehabbing a crappy house vs. knocking it down and starting from scratch with modern materials, wiring and plumbing.